From: Mark Minton [mailto:mmin...@illinoisalumni.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:17 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Re: The smell of dirt

      Julia said:

>>Actinomycetes (the common soil microbe that contributes so much to the earthy
>>smell of dirt, both in and outside of caves).
>Now I may know the "secret" ingredient in my "Cave Passages" candle that I
>purchased from an ICS vendor (www.speleosoap.com).  The smell of this candle
>is EXACTLY like a cave passage!
      I don't know whether it is also made by actinomycetes (it seems to mainly
come from streptomycetes), but one of the compounds responsible for the odor of
dirt is called geosmin:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosmin>.    It is a
relatively simple molecule whose biochemical pathway has recently been
elucidated:  <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070916143521.htm>.

      Better living through chemistry!  :-)

Mark Minton