It's sad to lose a good friend. I first met Carl when I went to work for the
Alamo Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, in San Antonio in 1980. He was a
Scoutmaster and a high school teacher and he'd gone caving before back in
Pennsyvania. He used to have me to his classroom at least once a year to show
caving slides. I guided his troop to Bustamante. When the big flood hit
Bustamante, Carl organized an aid drive and drove a school bus full of clothes,
blankets, etc. down there to help. He had a huge heart and a wonderful smile.

Carl was born exactly one month before my father, who passed away 20 years ago.
Carl felt
fatherly to me, and I always found it comforting to talk with him. What a great
guy.

Bill