It's difficult to think that a single eulogy can do justice for someone who's lived so long and so well. With Carl Ponebshek, that's especially true. He touched so many people's lives and had a ripple effect that continues to this day. His friends -- and he had many -- all have their favorite stories about him.

My sincerest condolences go to his family and those in Central Texas who knew him best. To me, Carl was a friend – as I know he was to many of you … Carl was one of the people you especially looked forward to seeing at TSA and TCR. We shared a lot of laughs at the Bexar Grotto camp, where he was extremely generous with morning coffee ... and where he and his crew always seemed to be cooking for and serving others. His hospitality was legendary – no one was ever a stranger to him.

Carl had an infectious sense of humor and thoughtful perspective that comes from someone who's been through WWII and a lot more. In the Texas caving community, Carl was a giant. His impact on caving in the state and bringing young people into the scene was immense. In that way, he was a modern-day Chuck Stuehm -- and much more: a father figure and an unforgettable character.

One of the greatest things about ICS was to see Carl there, appearing energetic and vibrant -- his old self -- despite not having been in the best of health in recent years. He was working the congress registration table with the enthusiasm and vigor of someone many years his junior. And he was wearing a really cool T-shirt -- about himself! It featured a snake-wrestling caver in "The further adventures of ... Carl ... Bad air? No problem -- just let me move these rattlesnakes out of the way first."

Carl is now on the way to his next adventure. With his passing, you can’t say the good always die young. Carl had a long, action-packed, prosperous life. He left a big family -- and a place in his friends' hearts.

We'll truly miss him.

speleoste...@tx.rr.com wrote:
It's sad to lose a good friend. I first met Carl when I went to work for the
Alamo Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, in San Antonio in 1980. He was a
Scoutmaster and a high school teacher and he'd gone caving before back in
Pennsyvania. He used to have me to his classroom at least once a year to show
caving slides. I guided his troop to Bustamante. When the big flood hit
Bustamante, Carl organized an aid drive and drove a school bus full of clothes,
blankets, etc. down there to help. He had a huge heart and a wonderful smile.

Carl was born exactly one month before my father, who passed away 20 years ago. Carl felt fatherly to me, and I always found it comforting to talk with him. What a great guy.

Bill ---- bcow...@satx.rr.com wrote:
Born 16 Oct 1924 Carl Ponebshek died peacefully in is sleep sometime last
night.Carl was a life long activist with the Boy Scouts of America  and had a
life time passion for caving.This coupled with a full military career ment a
very full life for a great person. Carl was known for his kindness,generosity
and his sincere friendship. He was active with the TCMA, TSA  and was a
personal couselor to many of us.He attended many many NSS conventions as well
as the last at Kerrville(He said it was the best he ever attended). Carl worked
hard at registration  and was really enjoying himself.I last talked to him on
the way to  our grotto meeting were he talked about him and I going to Vermont
for convention (we'll see). Funeral arrangements: Viewing will be held on
Tuesday 18 Aug from 5-7 PM with a rosary to follow at 7. Site: Sunset Funeral
Home 1701 Austin Hwy at Eisenhauer Rd. Funeral will be held on Wednesday the 19
at St Peter the Apostle Church 111 Brilla in Alamo Heights. kinda behind 50/50
Restaurant on Broadway Viewing at the church will be from 9-10 with a funeral
mass to follow, interment will be at Ft Sam Houston Cemetary following the
mass.I'm so proud to have known him and to have called him my friend....

                                       16 Oct 1924 - 14 Aug 2009