Fofo,

Cheers for producing an interesting compilation! ?My first thought at looking
it over is that to convert the figures into 'caves per square kilometer' or
some measure like that which takes the size of the country into consideration
would be likewise interesting. ?Look at Cuba, for example, with 1/15th the
length of surveyed passages currently recorded in the US squeezed into (or out
of) that tiny island nation. ?Your data could be used in this manner, for
example, to index roughly the relative investment of serious caving effort from
country to country. ?

The first distribution also looks like it might plot as close to a straight
line on a log-log plot. ?I heard many years ago (in the days of punch cards)
that such a plot could be obtained, for example, if you similarly plot the size
of cities in a country or large state. ?That sort of distribution is called the
"Rank/Size Rule." ?It is supposed to be the result of stochastic processes, but
back in the early 1980s when I wrote a hopelessly naive article on the cave
length distribution for the cave and computing newsleter (Statistical
Analysis of Cave Rank/Size Relationships.?
National Speleological Society, Computer?Applications
Section, Newsletter, No. 15), I couldn't find a definition for that word. ?I
suppose I could now, but I'll settle for "chance," as I was told by a real
scientist I asked back then. ?

Roger Moore
GHG