texascavers Digest 5 Jun 2009 12:32:12 -0000 Issue 768

Topics (messages 10816 through 10838):

Re: Comfort ready to go 'bat'ty with critters' seasonal emergence
        10816 by: Minton, Mark

new travel document requirements for Mexico travel since June 01
        10817 by: David Ochel

free diving in caves - commentary
        10818 by: David
        10819 by: Lyndon Tiu
        10820 by: Fritz Holt
        10821 by: Matt Turner
        10823 by: Brandon Cook
        10831 by: David
        10832 by: Brandon Cook

new AMCS pubs
        10822 by: Mixon Bill

Honduran white tent bats
        10824 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        10829 by: David

PBS Item on Inferring Weather Patterns from Stalagmites
        10825 by: Minton, Mark

Re: 15th ICS - Sunday sessions, NEW!
        10826 by: Mixon Bill

Tlamaqui: new Spanish-language caving e-mailing list
        10827 by: Fofo
        10830 by: Fofo
        10835 by: Minton, Mark
        10836 by: Fofo

archealogy related
        10828 by: David

convention thoughts
        10833 by: David
        10837 by: George Veni

Congressional WNS Hearing
        10834 by: Minton, Mark

WNS testimony yesterday before a congressional joint sub-committee
        10838 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
>Though it is located on private land about a mile and a half out of town on FM
>473, visitors can see the roost from the road. The 30-foot high tower is on
>concrete piers and covered with shingles.

      When I lived in Driftwood I would pass that bat house every time I drove
west toward Comfort.  It still looks to be in good condition.  I've read about
it in several news reports like the one Joe posted, but none of the reports
ever say whether or not the bat roost still houses a bat colony (or in fact if
it ever did).  Does anyone know whether these roosts were effective, and
whether the Comfort one is still actively occupied?  If they were not effective
in attracting bats, maybe that's why so few were ever built.  It is also my
understanding that bats do not actually eat very many mosquitoes, preferring
moths instead.  Is that correct?  Bats eating mosquitoes is widely stated, but
I wonder how true it is.  Jim Kennedy, can you weigh in on this?  Thanks!

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

Discussed here before, but since it's now official, don't forget that crossing with your drivers license and birth certificate doesn't work anymore:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Just for fun and off-topic, there is also an article about the security issues associated with the Passport Card and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (not currently being issued in Texas, AFAIK) here:

http://www.csoonline.com/article/493678/New_Travel_Rules_Amid_Concerns_over_RFID_tagged_Passport_Cards?page=1

Cheers,
David

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The recent death while solo free diving in a Florida cavern is certainly
a tragedy.

I wonder what possesses people to do something like that.

I have zero knowledge of cavern diving, free diving, and cave diving,
and have only been snorkeling once in my life.     I have free-dived a very
short cave sump before, but only after taking precautions.    ( and
once in Honeycreek in a duck-under )

However, here it would seem there would be a safer way to visit
the twilight zone of an underwater cavern,

Such as using flexible tubing connected to a snorkel and have the tubing
firmly attached to the surface or even to some sort of air pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuba

I think I would feel comfortable and safe doing that.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:56:27 -0500 dlocklea...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wonder what possesses people to do something like that.

What would posses people to do something like caving?

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
> I wonder what possesses people to do something like that.

What would posses people to do something like caving?

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
make sure to do with this with certified equipment. The water pressure quickly
becomes to great for most pumps and tubes, causing the tubing to collapse and
you drowning.
 Matt Turner

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it." - Aristotle

"Empty pockets never held anyone back.Only empty heads and empty hearts can do
that."- Norman Vincent Peale

________________________________
The recent death while solo free diving in a Florida cavern is certainly
a tragedy.

I wonder what possesses people to do something like that.

I have zero knowledge of cavern diving, free diving, and cave diving,
and have only been snorkeling once in my life.    I have free-dived a very
short cave sump before, but only after taking precautions.    ( and
once in Honeycreek in a duck-under )

However, here it would seem there would be a safer way to visit
the twilight zone of an underwater cavern,

Such as using flexible tubing connected to a snorkel and have the tubing
firmly attached to the surface or even to some sort of air pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuba

I think I would feel comfortable and safe doing that.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Same old story: Untrained and not properly equipped. Caves don't kill people,
stupidity does.

If considering diving into a cave, please read the following:

 http://nsscds.org/training_new/aboutcavediving.htm

http://www.safecavediving.com/safetybrochure.html

NO AMOUNT
                          OF PREVIOUS OPENWATER DIVING EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING
                          CAN ADEQUATELY PREPARE YOU FOR CAVE DIVING.

I'd suggest that the above statement would apply to free divers,
swimmers, snorkelers, and yes even "Snuba"lers. If you want to go, get
the training and go prepared.

-Brandon

The recent death while solo free diving in a Florida cavern is certainly
a tragedy.

I wonder what possesses people to do something like that.

I have zero knowledge of cavern diving, free diving, and cave diving,
and have only been snorkeling once in my life.     I have free-dived a very
short cave sump before, but only after taking precautions.    ( and
once in Honeycreek in a duck-under )

However, here it would seem there would be a safer way to visit
the twilight zone of an underwater cavern,

Such as using flexible tubing connected to a snorkel and have the tubing
firmly attached to the surface or even to some sort of air pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuba

I think I would feel comfortable and safe doing that.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I was not talking about cave diving fatalities in my post, but about the
safety of swimming underwater in the twilight zone of springs where
you can immediately surface if there is a problem.

In the case of Robert Jones ( who happened to also be a base-jumper ), his
major error seemed to be that he was alone and in a remote area.    Apparently,
he had been free diving before.     For those of you who don't know what I mean,
here is a link to some free-diving info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-diving

It is its own unique sport and although Mr. Jones was technically in a
cavern, that
does not appear to be the cause of his death.     Apparently there was
a current,
as they indicated he was "10 feet under the boil."      News media exaggerates
everything, so he might have been 10 inches under the surface, but he was not
in a cave passage as most cave-diving fatalities are.

Also,

until the facts are in, you can't conclude he was really alone or that
he intentionally
entered the spring.

The cave diver forum agrees that this was not a cave diving fatality.
They also mentioned they have seen someone free-diving at this cave at
90 feet down
before.    One diver wrote:

"So if a man attends the Daytona 500, he's parked on race track
property and goes to his privately owned car and dies of a heart
attack, will it listed as a NASCAR fatality, since it was on the
grounds of the race course during a race? I think this free diver
death is wrongly attributed as a cave dive."

David Locklear
caver in Fort Bend County

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I agree, the death should not be attributed as a cave dive.

Perhaps the subject should read "free diving near caves" ;-)

before.    One diver wrote:

"So if a man attends the Daytona 500, he's parked on race track
property and goes to his privately owned car and dies of a heart
attack, will it listed as a NASCAR fatality, since it was on the
grounds of the race course during a race? I think this free diver
death is wrongly attributed as a cave dive."

David Locklear
caver in Fort Bend County

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- More from the awesome Austin cave publishing machine. These will be available at the UT Grotto meeting tonight. Of course, they'll also be for sale at ICS, TCR, etc. Or order (for additional postage charge) from www.amcs-pubs.org.

Association for Mexican Cave Studies Bulletin 20, "Exploring Highland Maya Ritual Cave Use: Archaeology & Ethnography in Huehuetenango, Guatemala," edited by James Brady. 97 pp softbound. $8. Texas cavers Allan Cobb, Ann Scott, Linda Palit, and Don Arburn are co-authors of one of the papers.

AMCS Activities Newsletter 32 softbound, >arrived today<, 154 pp. $14. Hardbound ($24) will follow in about a week. 38 pages of Mexico News, long and deep lists, 17 articles, with 5 foldout maps.

 -- Bill Mixon, AMCS editor
He who renders warfare fatal to all engaged in it will be the greatest benefactor the world has yet known. - Sir Richard Burton
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/06/honduran-white-tent-bats.html
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here is the link to the picture:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SiaHO_-IVQI/AAAAAAAAHew/SYJc-fkVRSo/s1600/Honduran%2Bbats.jpg

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
       Scientists are studying stalagmites in a Polish cave to infer past
weather patterns:
<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june09/rainfall_06-02.html>

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Forwarded by Mixon:

Begin forwarded message:

From: ICS 2009 eList <secret...@ics2009.us>
Date: June 4, 2009 3:42:53 PM CDT
To: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
Subject: 15th ICS - Sunday sessions, NEW!

Dear Friends,

We are close to posting the final and complete schedule for the 15th International Congress of Speleology (ICS). I will send you more information about that soon. This message it remind you that the ICS runs from Sunday to Sunday, 19-26 July. Trips, activities, sessions, and meetings will occur on both Sundays. NSS members please note this. Unlike NSS Conventions that begin on Mondays and end on Fridays, Sunday, 19 July, is the beginning of the combined ICS and NSS Convention and it will be packed with things to do through Sunday, 26 July. Be sure you are there so you don’t miss anything!

The closing Sunday of the ICS, 26 July, will have two new sessions that I am announcing here for the first time. Several people will come to the ICS fresh from expeditions and research projects. They will have exciting news to share that was not available in time for the formal sessions and symposia that will occur during the week. If you have such news and want to give a talk about your results, contact Bill Stone (bill.st...@stoneaerospace.com) if you want to schedule presentations about exploration, or contact me (gv...@nckri.org) to schedule presentations about science and management. Give us the title of your talk and how much time you need (40 minutes maximum). Also, check the Information Room at the ICS (located next to Registration) where you can also sign-up to give a talk, but by then there may not be any space on the schedule so contact us as soon as possible.

The world of speleology comes together next month! Remember, early registration closes on 8 June, so go to https://secure.concentric.com/ics2009.us/register/ to register, especially so you don’t miss joining one or more of the great pre-ICS, post-ICS, and Wednesday trips. Please visit our website, www.ics2009.us, for more information.

George

George Veni, Ph.D.
Chairman, 15th International Congress of Speleology
Adjunct Secretary, International Union of Speleology
Executive Director, U.S. National Cave and Karst Research Institute

----
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the 2009 ICS eList. To unsubscribe, please visit:
http://ics2009mail.nfshost.com/pommo/user/

He who renders warfare fatal to all engaged in it will be the greatest benefactor the world has yet known. - Sir Richard Burton
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy!

Today, the 4th day of June of 2009, a new electronic mailing list was born, fruit of the inspiration of Gustavo Vela and Franco Attolini and of their frustration with other online venues in Spanish.

Its name is Tlamaqui, a Nahuatl word which means "Libre," "Free." It's what you'd say in a cave in Mexico after coming off rope or clearing a climb, "�Libre!" But it also stands for the uncensored nature of the forum, which is a problem that other e-lists have. The main goal is to create an open area, where different points of view and opinions are welcome, but of course following the basic rules of online communities (no archives, no flaming, no commercial postings, no "friendship chain e-mails," etc. Like texascavers, moderated only in case of necessity). It is a place created by cavers, for cavers.

If you are interested in caves and caving in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

How to join? You can do it on the web at:

(you'll need a Yahoo ID)

Or by sending an e-mail to:
tlamaqui-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

�Saludos!

     - Fofo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

> (no archives,

Uh... Thinking in Spanish here. It should have read "no files."

     - Fofo

     Fofo said:

(no archives,
Uh... Thinking in Spanish here. It should have read "no files."

     Which I presume means no attachments (adjuntos)...

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ouch!  Yup.

"Archivos" -> "archive" and then I though "No! 'archivo' in English is 'file' in a computer context," and then I realized that I should have said "attachments" instead, but I decided not to send _another_ correction.

Thanks!

     - Fofo

Minton, Mark wrote, on 4/6/09 19:59:
      Fofo said:
>> (no archives,
 >Uh... Thinking in Spanish here. It should have read "no files."
      Which I presume means no attachments (adjuntos)...
Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.verobeach32963.com/news/News060409/060409_BoneCarvingFind.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have not registered for ICS and I may only be able
to attend for a day or 2.

But I would like to share some thoughts based on attending 8
NSS Conventions.

Attendees flying to the convention will find it difficult to pack everything
they need.    Big items like tarps and poles, large tent stakes, kayaks,
canoes, bicycles, cook-stoves, pots & pans, lawn-chairs,
inner tubes, tents, tables, cots, wet-suits, flippers, etc. don't pack
well on a plane.

Not all attendees are coming to go caving, and most will not be
accustomed to camping in the Texas summer heat, especially
in an open field.

It would be helpful for them to know that Texas cavers are willing to
share such items.

[ At the Maine convention, a caver let me ship my large duffel
bag by ground to his address and he delivered it to me at
the campground.    That was a huge help. ]

There will be cavers who might need a ride to the pharmacy
or grocery store.     If you are going to the store ask around
to see if other cavers need anything while you are there.

If you are going to go eat at a restaurant, don't be shy.   Ask
around to see if anybody wants to go.    I have had dinner
several times with cavers I did not know at conventions.

At the cafeteria, don't eat by yourself.     Look for someone to
sit with and join them.    After all, they came to the convention
to meet cavers.

I have had cavers go "way out of the way" to help me on numerous
occasions.    All of these efforts, made my experience at the
conventions more pleasant and more memoriable.

Some cavers might want to rent a car, but getting to and from
the rental car agency can be a real pain in the neck.    Some
might have accidentally chosen a hotel farther from the campus
than they expected.

Also, I have shared hotel rooms by sleeping on the floor or
a cot with cavers I had never met in my life.     And I have
split the cost of a rental car with caver's I have never met
in my life.    Looking back it all seemed like great fun
( they probably have a different version of the story ).

I guess what I am trying to say is to go the extra mile
in reaching out to be hospitable and friendly to cavers
you don't know.     Conventions are not good places
to be clickish.    There a great place to meet people
who have interest similar to your own.

Also, if there is a caver who for some reason or another
is not someone you want to be sociable with, ignore
that during the convention, and make at effort to be
courteous, professional and friendly.

Also, don't be shy of the hot tub.    Just take off your
clothes and get in.    Having a naked conversation
with someone you don't know is an experience you
just have to try.

On a somewhat related topic,

I was wondering how much this event will be different from the 1994
NSS Convention.     My memories of that have
faded and are fuzzy.     It seems the emphasis
on caving then was having everybody bop Devil's
Sinkhole.     I do recall that 6 of us became very
sick with Histo from visiting Emerald Sink.  I
remember the Alamo Howdy Party was a blast.
I remember the swimming hole was great.   I
remember a pre-convention meeting installing
water-cooled fans in an attempt to cool the
un-air-conditioned rooms where the sessions
were being held.   I remember someone selling
titanium rappel-racks.    And Charles Haskett
was making some convention souvenirs on
wood with his scroll saw.     That was my
first convention, and was so much fun that
I decided to attend a few more of them.
I would like to add that some of the fun
is something you won't
be able to tell your mom about, and maybe
something you won't ever be able to tell
anyone about.

I should be able to leave Houston on Monday, attend the
Howdy Party, camp out, and come home on Tuesday without
missing anything work related here in Houston.    But my hope
is to attend as much of ICS as possible.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
David,

I hope you and others with your attitude can make it for the entire
Congress, Sunday through Sunday, 19-26 July. Courtesy, consideration, and
reaching out to others, especially those from other countries who may feel a
little shy, are vital to making this a fun, exciting, and worthwhile event
for everyone.

Thanks for your post,

George

[...]

       Forward of Cheryl Jones' post to VARList about the WNS hearing in
Congress.

Mark Minton

The testimony on WNS before the joint sub-committee* today went very well.
"Our" panel of Peter Youngbaer, Merlin Tuttle (BCI), and Scott Darling (Vermont
F&W Dept.) and Tom Kunz (Boston U.) did a terrific job, and Peter sure did the
NSS proud.  The NSS received kudos from the USF&W and USFS witnesses.

Although it would appear that with only 6 or 7 sub-committee members present
the hearing was poorly attended. However the staff said that actually
attendance was excellent -- often only the chairman shows up for hearings.  The
audience seating was over flowing, primarily  with congressional staff taking
careful notes.   It was great to have VAR's Gordon Brace and Bat World NOVA's
Leslie Sturges in the audience as well.  Thanks for the support!
.
The committee members seemed quite interested, and appeared to (eventually)
grasp the situation, issues, the value of bats, and need for research funding.
Fingers crossed.

A copy of the conservation issue of the NSS News (the issue with the WNS bat on
the back cover) was distributed to the committee, and available for attendees.

Go here to watch the video of the hearing -- I think you'll find it pretty
interesting --and/or to read the written statements that were presented in
advance to the sub-committee members
http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=27&extmode=view&extid=259

A take away quote: "It probably is the most serious threat to American wildlife
of the past century."

Cheryl
*Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands and the Subcommittee
on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From TagNet last night:

WNS testimony today -- Video online!
      By: Cheryl Jones  (Mclean, Virginia)
          cheryl.ca...@verizon.net

The testimony on WNS before the joint sub-committee* today went very

well. "Our" panel of Peter Youngbaer, Merlin Tuttle (BCI), Scott