texascavers Digest 14 Jul 2009 20:31:59 -0000 Issue 798

Topics (messages 11324 through 11340):

After ICS - goods for sale
        11324 by: Jon

Re: Kerrville weather and drought
        11325 by: Lyndon Tiu

Cabin at Kerrville Pk
        11326 by: bcow911.satx.rr.com
        11331 by: Fritz Holt

volunteers
        11327 by: Nancy Weaver
        11328 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

I'd like to help with ICS - what next
        11329 by: Nancy Weaver

I'd like to help....
        11330 by: Gill Edigar
        11332 by: Mallory Mayeux
        11334 by: Geary Schindel
        11337 by: Mallory Mayeux
        11338 by: Lyndon Tiu

Re: 15th ICS � History, Kerrville, and speleology
        11333 by: Mixon Bill

Final call for projectors and laptops for ICS
        11335 by: Rick Corbell

Guadalupe River Conditions
        11336 by: Robert B

A Public Service Announcement
        11339 by: wesley s
        11340 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Hi folks,
I hope some of you are in need of some items after the ICS has ended.

We will have:
Around 60 sheets of 3/8-inch OSB that was used inside not outside, with only a
few screw holes in it,
30 or so nice 2x4s, stud length and up,
Several hundred feet of orange construction site safety fence,
Several hundred feet of 1/4-inch poly rope, blue and yellow.
MAYBE, some very well made A-frame type art stands

AND MORE!!!

The entire list will be posted on the main bulletin board in the student center
close to registration.
If you should want to buy any of this, OR MORE, and there by help defray the
cost of this convention, please bring your money and something to haul it away
in.

Please pass this on to other list serve types.

Come and be seen in Kerrville!

Jon Cradit

*****

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Gives me an excuse to stay in the cave longer. Let's just stay in the cave the
whole time.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
First come first serve contact me I have another a/c cabin available at the
kerrville pk . Two bunk beds ,table chairs additional camp site. Entire unit
no more than 8 to a campsite. Tent or small camper on site. site for camper has
electric for lights only not an a/c( not enough amps). Contact me for details.
Bob Cowell cell 210-724-9365 hp 210-662-9171

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bob,
I am a volunteer to drive/assist on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and possibly
Wednesday. Any chance of sharing the cabin/room with someone?
Fritz Holt, Houston
1-800-375-4679

First come first serve contact me I have another a/c cabin available at the
kerrville pk . Two bunk beds ,table chairs additional camp site. Entire unit
no more than 8 to a campsite. Tent or small camper on site. site for camper has
electric for lights only not an a/c( not enough amps). Contact me for details.
Bob Cowell cell 210-724-9365 hp 210-662-9171

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Good Grief - how about if everybody took the time they spend talking about volunteering and just complete a volunteer task?

and for those of you who have lots of suggestions about improvements - how about if YOU get them cleared with the appropriate coordiantor and make those improvements?

feel free to email me and I'll put you in touch with a way to use all this excess time and energy!

Nancy

--
Nancy Weaver
Volunteer Co-ordinator ICS

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
How many cavers does it take to________?

Does Ediger have an answer?

Jul 14, 2009 11:35:48 AM, nan...@io.com wrote:
Good Grief - how about if everybody took the time they spend talking
about volunteering and just complete a volunteer task?

and for those of you who have lots of suggestions about improvements
- how about if YOU get them cleared with the appropriate coordiantor
and make those improvements?

feel free to email me and I'll put you in touch with a way to use all
this excess time and energy!

Nancy

--
Nancy Weaver
Volunteer Co-ordinator ICS
nan...@io.com
512.847.7422

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Nancy,

I will be coming in on Saturday and Sunday to help. Who do I talk to and what do I do?

We will (hopefully) have an up to date list of volunteer needs at INFO each day, and get folks who wish to help connected with a task that they are interested in. Also I'm certain that any given coordinator would be happy for you to contact them directly.

thanks for the response

Nancy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It hasn't been mentioned yet but as a former organizer I've found that some
people help best by just staying the hell outa the way. They should be
thanked, as well.
--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
WOW. Thanks for inspiring everyone to take off work to volunteer this
coming week. I'm sure the current organizers really appreciate the
sentiment. *sarcasm*
Mallory
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:

> It hasn't been mentioned yet but as a former organizer I've found that some
> people help best by just staying the hell outa the way. They should be
> thanked, as well.
> --Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We'll, I actually found Gil's post pretty funny.  If I'm part of the folks that
can make a difference, than great.  If I'm part of the group that gets in the
way, than it annoys Gil and that's even better.

A little comic relief is always appreciated.

Geary

From: ICS 2009 eList <secret...@ics2009.us>
Date: July 14, 2009 11:34:36 AM CDT
To: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
Subject: 15th ICS – History, Kerrville, and speleology

Dear Friends,

This message may be my last to you before the 15th International Congress of Speleology (ICS) begins this weekend in Kerrville, Texas. I expect the ICS will be historic, so this message is about a little history on Kerrville and how it relates to speleology now posted at: http://www.ics2009.us/kerr.html .

Also, remember that Schreiner University will not be open to the ICS until the 16th, that you are welcome to arrive on the 16th and 17th if you come to help us prepare the campus, otherwise please do not come until registration begins this Saturday morning the 18th. The ICS starts on Sunday!

George

P.S.: I am now in Kerrville working with other members of the Organizing Committee to prepare the site for you. The above message was prepared earlier. If you try to reach me or others on the committee between now and the ICS, please remember that we will be traveling, working, and may be slow or unable to respond.

George Veni, Ph.D.
Chairman, 15th International Congress of Speleology
Adjunct Secretary, International Union of Speleology
Executive Director, U.S. National Cave and Karst Research Institute

----
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the 2009 ICS eList. To unsubscribe, please visit:
http://ics2009mail.nfshost.com/pommo/user/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear cavers and fellow speleologists,

I am looking for a Dell 2400MP as back-up for some important ICS presentations.
 If you are driving and it would be convenient, please bring your Dell or any
other brand projector.  We just can't have enough insurance.

Laptops with current USB connectivity and the ability to open Powerpoint and
other likely programs are also welcomed.

While I'm at it, if you have an extra 25 + foot extension cord and multi tap
surge protector or power strip that you can bring, please do so.

I have secure storage!!!

Be sure to boldly label whatever you bring.  I guess that applies to everything
you bring to Kerrville, not just A/V stuff.  We don't want lost and found to
get too full!!

Feel free to let me know what you are planning to bring.

Here's thanking in advance, George, Bill and Forrest for what they are bringing.

Rick Corbell- 15th ICS A/V coordinator -  rlcorb...@hotmail.com
--cell-210-313-6084

p.s. My name and phone number will be posted by every projector but, I am
looking for a couple of folks to walk session rooms each morning and after the
lunch break to check for A/V issues.  So, if you know you are going to be in
one of the buildings regularly and can do this, it would save lots of footsteps
for the A/V crew.

Please post this to other list-serves-thanks RC

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
For what its worth, here are some links to river conditions along the
Guadalupe. I also threw in a link for the
Llano.<http://www.ugra.org/pdfs/Website%20Swimability%202009.pdf>

flow rate for South Llano as it goes into Junction
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08150000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Flow rate Guadalupe at Comfort
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08167000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

If you find a usgs flow rate link to a spot along the river closer to
Kerrville, please post.

Is there any noticeable flow at the swimming hole closest to the camping
area. maybe some folks working this past weekend can reply

Swimmability Study by the Upper Guadalupe River Authority Environmental
Laboratory. Mostly regarding E-Coli. Having swam/swum in some of the
grossest stock tanks in texas, I would not be too worried about drain bamage

http://www.ugra.org/swimability.html
http://www.ugra.org/pdfs/Website%20Swimability%202009.pdf

Can somebody explain why the counts are so different. I would thing they
would be closer. the distance from collection points are not tthat far
apart.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Public Service Announcement

Warning: if you have recently purchased a ticket to a convention in Kerrville
Texas, are a Texas caver, hang out with Texas cavers or are friends with a
Texas caver you may have contracted "Irritable Caver Syndrome" They
symptoms include snappiness, headaches, a feeling of being overwhelmed,
selfless laboring, complaining about the heat, manic disinfection of caving
gear,
and in extreme cases suicidal thoughts (hang in there Joe).

There is no known treatment or cure for I.C.S. There are ongoing clinical
trials being conducted to see if alcohol is effective against I.C.S., though
the treatment is at least a five years away from FDA approval. Some Cavers have
vaccinated themselves for I.C.S. using isolation and a radical holistic
treatment known as "turning your computer off". This treatment is
untested and is not recommended as reports have indicated there are extremely
detrimental
and painful withdrawal syndromes. Speculation has been made that death could
even occur in at least one case (achem, David).

Scientists who have been tracking the spread of I.C.S. have concluded that
it will simply run its course given enough time. They estimate that most cases
of I.C.S. will have recovered by July 26 though some sufferers may experience
the effects longer and in some cases permanent damage may result. They recommend
staying hydrated and resting as often as possible in between driving, trip
leading and manning security. Avoid touching other cavers especially around the
mouth as they may bite unexpectedly.

Be prepared in case you get sick and need to stay home for a week or so; a
supply of over-the-counter medicines, alcohol-based drinks, tissues and other
related items might be useful and help avoid the need to make trips out in
public while you are sick and contagious. Employees who are well but who have
an ill family member at home with I.C.S. can go to work as usual. These
employees should monitor their health every day, and take everyday precautions
including yoga, meditation and massage to relieve vicarious stress.
Alcohol-based drinks are also effective. If they become ill, they should notify
their supervisor and stay home. Employees who have an underlying medical
condition
or who are pregnant should call their health care provider for advice.

Federal, state, and local community planners are working together to ensure
that I.C.S. treatments are developed and will be delivered to the affected area
as soon as possible. Many cities, states, and territories have already received
I.C.S. supplies. After N.S.S. sends medicine to a state or city, control and
distribution of the supply is at the discretion of that state or local grotto.
Most states and cities also have their own medicines that they can access to
treat infected persons.

*Note: Much of the information in this document is based on studies and
past experience with seasonal events like TSA conventions.  NSS believes
the information applies to Irritable Caver Syndrom as well, but studies on this
epidemic are ongoing to learn more about its characteristics. This document
will be updated as new information becomes available.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
LOL!

Great post and "diagnosis", Dr. Wes!

Mark

[...]

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail. See how.
<http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_QuickAdd_062009>

--- End Message ---