At 04:08 PM 2/19/2009, Scott Nicholson wrote:
However, Gill, your family metaphor is flawed (imho) because in this instance we're not talking children vs adults.

Yep, I knew that when I wrote it, but I wanted to point out that there are different concepts of 'government'--and they are related to who works and who doesn't and who makes money and who leaches off whom. The original point of what Fritz sent out was well taken--it does happen that way. But that's not the only way it happens, hence myopic. I was trying to take it to the other extreme--with some attention to brevity, which may have confused the issue.

Outside this argument, but inherent in the larger discussion, are the people who do not or will not work.

Yep, again. On either end of the social spectrum there is a leisure class. Ever notice how many of those on the high end don't work? I wonder where we retired people fit in.

--Ediger