I'm sure this will insite an earful of flaming.

One also has to consider the effects of a collapsing economy on the motives of
the people who have formerly enjoyed some pretty hefty economic prosperity
resulting from the U.S. Housing and Construction boom.  WIth the collapse of
the demand for new homes this revenue stream has for the most part completely
dried up leaving a large population of migrant workers now unemployed in a
country with already weak economic resources.  I'd expect that the danger to
travelers will increase over the next years as their savings become depleted
and many of the smaller businesses collapse with the falling demand for goods
and services.  This will make travelers vulnerable to increased robbery,
extortion, and possibly worse in the coming years.

It should be noted that in the outgoing CIA directors brief he cited Mexico as
one of the two largest threats to our National Security.  The increased cartel
activity is an indicator of the social unrest that accompanies a failing
economy that could potentially spin out of control if not checked.  Which is
not to say this is going to happen but that it does pose a plausible threat
enough so that it has been testified before the Senate Security Council and
illicited an unprecedented allocation of Federal and Military resources to
addressing this scenario.  You may not have noticed the increase in Federal and
National Guard presence in the border towns or that the government spent over
40 billion dollars last year on NSA, CIA, and "other" government infrastructure
in Texas last year alone.

Just food for thought......