On Jan 27, 2009, at 7:58 AM, <speleoste...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

Members of five Texas grottos participated in the tank haul:

Barry Adelman           UTG
Braddon Bargo
Diana Tomchick  DFW
Alex Wendeborn  ASS

Supporting on the surface were:

Jerry Atkinson
Don Broussard
Diana Tomchick
Drew Wendeborn
Cephas Wozencraft

Wow, not only did Ninja James Brown pass 21 people on the way out of Honey Creek, I magically became a Ninja caver on this trip by both participating in the tank haul and helping lower and haul people out of the cave! Maybe those late-night cloning experiments in the lab have finally paid off, and I really did clone myself...no, this is one tank haul trip I missed, due to lower back problems. But I plan to be on the next one, as they are may favorite trips into Honey Creek.

Diana

P.S. I really feel as though I am responsible for what happened with Puppy. I should have known enough to have assigned one surface support person to check people off the list as they came out of the cave. The biggest problem was that as they were being hauled up the shaft, they kept yelling about how cold they were, so we worked as hard and as fast as we could to haul them out, unclip their gear and shove the cable back down the shaft. Once people unclipped themselves they ran (and I literally mean, RAN) to the campfire, and many abandoned their packs where we unclipped them from the cable (this prompted one person to ask the next morning, "Did you split up their abandoned gear?"). Several times I had to go over to the fire and add more wood--they were so oblivious they didn't even notice that the fire was starting to burn down. In all the hustle to get everyone out of the cave and get them warmed up as quickly as possible, we lost count of the people as they came up the shaft.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.