I think I'll rant for a second, here.

First off, can we open a nice gulag for the idiots who designed & marketed any "Hummer" within the last 3 years for crimes against basic human intelligence? America could utterly stop producing new cars for 10 years, and it would simply not be a problem. We are awash with the things. Every day, cars with minor dents or hail damage are hauled off to the junkyard because the insurance claims the repairs will cost more than the bluebook value of the vehicle. New cars are sold at inflated prices, then the value declines precipitously as soon you drive them off the lot, because suddenly, they're "used," despite having maybe 50 miles on them. If we didn't have such a glut of new vehicles, I suspect the older ones would retain their values -- a vehicle with 75,000 miles on it still has an intrinsic value, yet that value isn't perceived by the car-owning and buying public any more, because we're having new cars crammed down our throats at an alarming rate. I think it's telling that GM's sales are off by 45%. People are beginning to figure out "Hey, I've already got one, and it's good for another 100,000 miles, if I take care of it." I think so-called bluebook values are skewed in favor of the insurance companies getting out of having to pay for even semi-reasonable repairs, and to push the owner towards purchasing a new vehicle at twice its value. I'm curious as to how a person can justify paying $25,000.00 for something that will be worth $15,000.00 ten days later, if it's damaged in a hail storm. Yet somehow, the auto companies are failing, despite selling these things at at least 1.5 times their actual value. My heart bleeds for them. Really. I bet a lot of GM's problems stem from their financial wing making bad loans to people who could ill-afford new cars, then having to repossess them, and sell them used for half the price. Oh, the humanity.

When considering the potential longevity of you average vehicle, it seems doubly so for soundly-constructed vehicles designed specifically for the rigors of off-road driving, like the older 4-Runners, Pathfinders, and the classic 70's & 80's era Toyota pickups and Land Cruisers. Of course, Gill would have me include long-wheel-based pickups in this category, and he'd be right. (the list could go on -- I don't feel like writing a dissertation on International Harvester) Some of you may recall the Grey Pendejo. It was a 1979 Chevy pickup with full-time 4WD. It had no air con, no radio, no satellite hookup, no onstar, no GPS, -- I had 4 big-ass tires, a heavy-duty suspension, an engine and a steering wheel. It still had plenty of intrinsic value when I sold it in 2003 because it was sensibly engineered, easily repaired, and built to last. There's no reason on earth why a vehicle like that can't be made to run for 50 years or more, by an industrious owner. One need only to look at Cuba to see how well a vehicle can be made to continue running long past the day its "bluebook value" has expired. I find it disheartening that society as a whole attached so little perceived value to used vehicles, and that we're constantly mining & harvesting all the goods it takes to build brand new ones, while perfectly serviceable vehicles are being crushed & recycled due to cosmetic flaws, or the difference between the cost of repairs and an insurance companies' willingness to part with the necessary funding to effect same. "Oh, I'll have to take a salvage title if I choose to take the 'totalled' value and pay the difference out of pocket if I choose to repair my bumper, fender & right headlight assembly. Better to have it crushed & buy brand new." WTF, Humans?

And now, back to LED headlamp reviews -- I want a Stenlight for Xmas, please.

Chris.

PS. Bonnie, Pete & Lee Jay: sure enjoyed caving with y'all at Punkin a couple weeks ago. I felt privileged to be in the company of such a fine group, and it was awesome racking up some virgin cave. Pics are slowly being edited, and I'l post them to Flickr one of these days.