Just returned from another delightful week in Mexico, where the only trouble seems to be how much of a good time to have. I have always felt safe, hitchhiking (years ago) as a single woman, taking buses or driving, visiting friends in cities or caving in remote areas. I have also always felt safe going thru military/armed checkpoints. Mexicans like most other people I've encountered around the world have generally been likeable and responsive to polite interaction.

There does seem to be an increase in for ransom kidnappings of extremely wealthy Mexicans, at least according to the stories of my Mexican friends. I think the casual american would be quite safe from this.

The only unpleasantness I ever experience is crossing back into the United States.

Nancy