texascavers Digest 4 Dec 2008 21:42:03 -0000 Issue 658

Topics (messages 9556 through 9564):

Re: cave restoration
        9556 by: Ron Ralph

Longhorn Cavern Project, Saturday, December 6th - Cancelled!
        9557 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Help Needed at CBSP Saturday, January 17th
        9558 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: Limes
        9559 by: Johnson, Russ (ATX)

Re: Cave potential in The Solitario
        9560 by: Fritz Holt

Punkin Cave trip report addition/correction
        9561 by: Jim Kennedy

Philosophical question
        9562 by: Geary Schindel
        9563 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com
        9564 by: Fritz Holt

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I am holding in my hands about 6 pounds of Cave Conservation and
Restoration, the 2006 Edition, edited by Val Hildreth-Werker and Jim C.
Werker and published by the National Speleological Society. It is 600 pages
thick and may be purchased on-line from the NSS bookstore
<http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mode=store&submode=search&searchfor=hildr
eth-werker&action=search>
http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mode=store&submode=search&searchfor=hildre
th-werker&action=search

for $39.00 plus shipping and handling. Makes a great Christmas present and
is sprinkled throughout with photos of Texas cavers. Part 3 Restoration
begins on page 293. I will be glad to loan-out my copy for a quick look-see
should the need arise.

Ron

  _____

From: "Bill Bentley" <ca...@caver.net>
Matt (Turner),
    I was there in September 2007 with a group of hikers for a weekend.... I
didn't see anything that looked like a cave or even cave like... We hiked in
some of the canyons and they look a lot like the ones in Big Bend National
Park, only not as tall... It is pretty remote and if I remember we hiked about
13 to 14 miles round trip...

Bill

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I was writing the trip report by going through the actual survey notes,
and TOTALLY forgot that we had another team in the cave!  My apologies
to them, I didn't intend to slight them.  Please add the following team
to the report, and change Team Deep Cave to Team six (instead of five).

-- Jim

Team five:  "Team Photography"

Allan Cobb led Ann Scott and Alex Benavente on a photo-documentation
tour of Punkin Cave.  Specifically, they were photographing the unique
geologic features of the cave to help illustrate its hypogenic origins.
Rims and vents, lift tubes, air-flow corrosion, wall crusts, and more
were photographed, starting in the southern section of the cave around
the Mortuary Room and through the connection passages to the Entrance
Room.  A presentation is being planned for the ICS next summer.  Much
more photo documentation remains.

Confidentiality Note: This email and any attachment to it are
confidential and protected by law and intended for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named on the email. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or distribution of this communication is prohibited. If
via return email and delete it completely from your email system. If you
have printed a copy of the email, please destroy it immediately. Thank
you

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

In Texas, it has been pretty rare to obtain any sizable snows on steep
slopes with any sizeable population present to create a situation where
there might be a mass movement of snow which would be defined as an
avalanche.  Colorado and Wyoming are different stories as there are
serious safety issues with avalanches each year.

There are a number of areas where there is sufficient cliffs for rock
falls in Texas.  One of the better examples is at Big Bend National Park
where you can see the fresh rock face from the rock fall that occurred
on the cliff near Dog Canyon, north of the park headquarters.  However,
Yosemite is probably better known for having large pieces of rock break
off and fall and occasionally squash people.

If you have sufficient amounts of soil, trees, rock, and water, you may
have a land slide.  I would assume that there have been a number of
landslides or slope failures on steep slopes in west Texas and this
might be an issue.  I would assume that it is a fairly unusual
geohazard.  However, California is famous for their landslides and mud
slides.

However, there is one geological hazards which I believe is most
probably in Texas (with the exception of the US Capitol steps).  During
the last mapping trip in Punkin Cave, we were in some vents that
contained a fair amount of bat guano at an angle which could results in
mass movement of the material.  Actually, the material probably reached
the lower levels of the cave by slumping as there were no active or old
bat roosts directly above the material.  Our group was having a
philosophical discussion on this issue.  So, if you had a mountain of
guano fall on you, would it be a crapalanche?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Pretty good, Geary!

Maybe Webster's will add this brand new word.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Mark

So, if you had a mountain of guano fall on you, would it be a
crapalanche?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It's getting deep in here. But then, at some point we all have time on our
hands, for which we don't need gloves.
Fritz