From: Terri Sprouse <posada...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Thomas - UT Grotto Newbie Herder
To: "Cavers Texas" <texascavers@texascavers.com>, dreadfl...@yahoo.com
Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 8:30 PM

Thomas,

Sounds like you just volunteered to take over the role of Newbie Herder for the
grotto. Should we vote on it at the next meeting?

I agree, the reality is that the best way to get to know cavers is to go on a
caving trip with them. I wonder how many people who come to the grotto meeting
have not been on a caving trip. We need a point person for the UT Grotto to
follow-up with our newbies to ensure that they GET ON A TRIP, even if its just
locally to Whirlpool. That is really what opens the door, socially. After a
series of training trips, most newbies either bond with other cavers, or they
won't. It's up to them.

Not that the rest of us won't have to make an effort too but, in addition,
I think we could really use someone who is designated to follow-up - to
absolutely make sure that the invitation (and possibly follow-up invitations) to
go on trips is personally made to each of the newbies.

Could that person be you, Thomas?

--- On Fri, 12/12/08, Thomas Sitch <dreadfl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It was very hard to “break in” and feel welcome at the
> UT Grotto.  There were some people who went out of the way
> to do so (such as Jean, or Aimee) and I will always feel
> incredible gratitude to them for that.  Now I know lots of
> people and count many friends and it’s a good time, but I
> see a lot of new people show up and sit largely excluded.

<snip>