texascavers Digest 17 Sep 2008 13:06:03 -0000 Issue 607

Topics (messages 8930 through 8953):

Re: Texas Grottos and Hurricane Ike
        8930 by: John Brooks
        8931 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com
        8934 by: Corky

Re: Hello South Texas Grottos
        8932 by: Keith Goggin
        8935 by: Cynthia Lee

Hello? money back
        8933 by: Gill Ediger
        8936 by: Cynthia Lee
        8937 by: S S
        8951 by: Jay Jorden

Snowy River coming up in 3 weeks on the Discovery Channel
        8938 by: Lee H. Skinner
        8939 by: Stefan Creaser

hurricanes
        8940 by: Nancy Weaver

OT ACL Tickets
        8941 by: wesley s
        8943 by: Stefan Creaser

Richard Wright
        8942 by: Ron Miller

Re: Scout Caving outing in Austin
        8944 by: mark.alman.l-3com.com

Photobucket of Caving Pictures (South Austin)
        8945 by: Andy Zenker
        8949 by: S S
        8950 by: S S
        8953 by: mark.alman.l-3com.com

UT Grotto meeting – August 17
        8946 by: garyfranklin2.austin.rr.com
        8948 by: Preston Forsythe

UT Grotto meeting – SEPTEMBER 17
        8947 by: garyfranklin2.austin.rr.com

Re: Honeypot Ant: Photobucket of Caving Pictures (South Austin)
        8952 by: Andy Zenker

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Dallas caught the edge of IKE. We got an inch or two of rain...and some high
wind gusts...a few branches off trees...but nothing major. But to the east
around Greenville, Cooper and Paris, they got much heavier rain and winds.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:42 PM, "Jim Kennedy" <jkenn...@batcon.org> wrote:

Austin barely got any rain, but Houston and Galveston were hammered.  I don’t
know about San Antonio, but I suspect they came away clean also.

-- Crash

In Irving, which is adjacent to and west of Dallas, we got four tenths of an
inch of rain, and almost no wind. Darn.

Bill

---- John Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Dallas caught the edge of IKE. We got an inch or two of rain...and some high
> wind gusts...a few branches off trees...but nothing major. But to the east
> around Greenville, Cooper and Paris, they got much heavier rain and winds.

Sent from my iPhone

Austin barely got any rain, but Houston and Galveston were hammered.  I donʼt

From: Louise Power [mailto:power_lou...@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:11 PM
To: Texas Cavers

>From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a serious
hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a serious
>hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?

Lost one tree and a couple shingles here but no major damage.  Just got power
back about an hour ago, haven't had it since Friday night.  Otherwise, we're
good to go as far as I can tell.

Keith and Lisa Goggin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
greetings from almost treeless sugar land, tx.
here in covington woods we escaped flooding (no bayous) but lost our share
(and then some) of trees. many houses in the neighborhood sustained damage
from said wandering trees. we are extremely fortunate and grateful it wasn't
worse. my pet duck and three ducklings who live in the ditch behind the
house also survived.
joy kennedy jumped out of the pan into the fire. downtown houston is a mess.
cindy lee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Keith Goggin <ke...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> *From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a
> serious hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?*
>
> Lost one tree and a couple shingles here but no major damage.  Just got
> power back about an hour ago, haven't had it since Friday night.  Otherwise,
> we're good to go as far as I can tell.
>
> Keith and Lisa Goggin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- We've had 3 hurricanes hit Texas so far this season and at my house in Austin we've received a whopping 4/10s of an inch (reading to the top of the meniscus) absolute grand total for the entire lot of um--together. I saw about a hundred times as much rain in the deserts of Northern Chihuahua a couple of weeks ago as I have in Austin since getting back to the center of the caving universe in April. As far as I'm concerned they might as well have not even scheduled any of these damned hurricanes if they're not gonna be of any more benefit than these stinking 3 were. What a worthless fizzle.... Where can I get my money back?
--Ediger

ps: I ran my 10kw generator for 15 minutes yesterday (at no load) in remembrance of those poor souls in Houston and Galveston who'll be without power for the next 3 weeks or so. --GE

pps: A 3 inch diameter limb fell off one of my ash trees this afternoon with little more than a 5 knot wind. Surely a sign! Providence, perhaps??? Go figger.... --GE

At 12:10 PM 9/15/2008, Louise Power wrote:
From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a serious hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
gill,
i feel for you, i truly do.
cindy lee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Gill Ediger <gi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> We've had 3 hurricanes hit Texas so far this season and at my house in
> Austin we've received a whopping 4/10s of an inch (reading to the top of the
> meniscus) absolute grand total for the entire lot of um--together. I saw
> about a hundred times as much rain in the deserts of Northern Chihuahua a
> couple of weeks ago as I have in Austin since getting back to the center of
> the caving universe in April. As far as I'm concerned they might as well
> have not even scheduled any of these damned hurricanes if they're not gonna
> be of any more benefit than these stinking 3 were. What a worthless
> fizzle.... Where can I get my money back?
> --Ediger
>
> ps: I ran my 10kw generator for 15 minutes yesterday (at no load) in
> remembrance of those poor souls in Houston and Galveston who'll be without
> power for the next 3 weeks or so.  --GE
>
> pps: A 3 inch diameter limb fell off one of my ash trees this afternoon
> with little more than a 5 knot wind. Surely a sign! Providence, perhaps???
> Go figger....  --GE
>
> At 12:10 PM 9/15/2008, Louise Power wrote:
>
>> From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a
>> serious hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We would like to give you your money back....however your bank is now filing
chapter 11 and will not be able to grant you that wish.

We blew it all on raises, golf tournements, expensive homes, and real estate
speculation.  Luckily we were able to cash out before you suckers were able to
get your money back....win some loose some.

Better luck next time... Biatch!

Regards,

     Your Gov and buddies.

P.S. it wouldnt have really mattered if you had voted.  Just ask your buddy Al
Gore. "Seein green, being green...know what I mean!

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 00:34:46 -0500From: cynthialee41@gmail.comTo:
gi...@worldnet.att.netCC: texascavers@texascavers.comSubject: Re: [Texascavers]
Hello? money back
Power wrote:
>From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a serious
>hit from Ike. Is everybody
>okay?---------------------------------------------------------------------Visit
>texascavers-h...@texascavers.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey, Gill:

Why doncha offer your generator as a loaner (is it mobile?) to any needy Houston/Galveston area cavers? That way, it doesn't have to labor in vain. ... ;-) ... And for some lucky Gulf Coast resident, it would beat sittin' in the dark or trying to clean up flooding damage by carbide lamp.

Cheers,
Jay

Gill Ediger wrote:
[...]

From where I sit in the Northwest, it looks like you guys have taken a serious hit from Ike. Is everybody okay?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The episode "The Search for Life" of "Into the Unknown With Josh Bernstein" will air on Monday October 6 at 8pm MDT on the Discovery Channel in high definition. Josh Bernstein investigates a controversial theory that life on Earth began on Mars, and will feature scenes of Snowy River in Fort Stanton Cave.

Lee Skinner

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Is that "life" or "intelligent life"? :-)

Cheers,
Stefan

The episode "The Search for Life" of "Into the Unknown With Josh
Bernstein" will air on Monday October 6 at 8pm MDT on the Discovery
Channel in high definition.  Josh Bernstein investigates a controversial

theory that life on Earth began on Mars, and will feature scenes of
Snowy River in Fort Stanton Cave.

Lee Skinner

medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- It is eerie to be here in a death grip drought - creeks and rivers (Onion, Blanco) almost bone dry, and think of all that rain and wind expended just 100 miles away. Being on the south west side of the storm actually brought hotter dryer weather to us on friday and saturday.

nw

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have two 3-day passes to ACL available for sale. They are sold out of 3-day
passes for the event and now these tickets are going for large sums of money on
ebay and such. I'll offer them for cost to any caver. $150 apiece.

Let me know,

Wes~

512-762-3003

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have a spare one too, if anyone wants it for a similar amount. On
Craigslist for $175:

http://austin.craigslist.org/tix/842496426.html

________________________________

I have two 3-day passes to ACL available for sale. They are sold out of
3-day passes for the event and now these tickets are going for large
sums of money on ebay and such. I'll offer them for cost to any caver.
$150 apiece.

Let me know,

Wes~

512-762-3003

________________________________

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part
of your life. See Now
<http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/>

medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It is aways interesting to me to associate a hit tune with a location in time.
My first trip to Bustamante caving was with Bob Lloyd in his new Chevy Blazer
and having Pink Floyd music blaring. Many other cavers did the same over time.
Sad to hear the passing of the key figure in that music, Richard Wright. I was
fortunate to see their concert in Texas Stadium.    --Ron

"Though not as prolific a songwriter as his bandmates Syd Barrett, Roger Waters
and David Gilmour, he wrote significant parts of the music for classic albums
such as Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, as well as for
Pink Floyd's final studio album The Division Bell."

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Calling all Austin area cavers!

Anyone interested in helping these guys out?

I would, but my daughter and our Venturing Crew are taking Scouts horseback
riding in east Texas that weekend.

Please contact me offline, if you can help!

Mark

________________________________

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:56:26 -0700From: andyzenker@yahoo.comTo:
texascavers@texascavers.comSubject: [Texascavers] Photobucket of Caving
Pictures (South Austin)

Hello,I am posting a link to a photobucket where some of us have been uploading
pictures from our cave trips.  Most of them (so far) are the beginner trips in
South Austin to Whirlpool and Maple Run.  But there are some other trips in
there too.http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/Cavemaster/ROCKHUGGER Andy
ZenkerTexas Caver

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
How does an austrailian Honey Pot ant wind up out in Edwards County at Deep
Cave?

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:56:26 -0700From: andyzenker@yahoo.comTo:
texascavers@texascavers.comSubject: [Texascavers] Photobucket of Caving
Pictures (South Austin)

Hello,I am posting a link to a photobucket where some of us have been uploading
pictures from our cave trips.  Most of them (so far) are the beginner trips in
South Austin to Whirlpool and Maple Run.  But there are some other trips in
there too.http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/Cavemaster/ROCKHUGGER Andy
ZenkerTexas Caver

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks for posting all of the great pix, Andy!

I noticed a LOT of photos from the Labor day work weekend at Punkin and Deep.

Anyone who attended that weekend interested in submitting an article for the
next TEXAS CAVER?

Still plenty of time so get those creative juices flowing, with cerveza, if
necessary!

Thanks,

Mark

________________________________

I am posting a link to a photobucket where some of us have been uploading
pictures from our cave trips.  Most of them (so far) are the beginner trips in
South Austin to Whirlpool and Maple Run.  But there are some other trips in
there too.

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/Cavemaster/

ROCKHUGGER
 Andy Zenker
Texas Caver

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
UT Grotto meeting – August 17
www.utgrotto.org

Aimee Beveridge and Pete Strickland will be presenting the Program
“Scouting for big caves in Mexico for the ICS –
Bustamante and Carrizal- the Histo Cave”

Come out for an exciting presentation about caving adventures both above and
below ground.

The meeting is on Wednesday from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
on the University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html

Contact Gary v...@utgrotto.org if you are interested in sharing your cave
related events.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Now that will be a good program. Wish we could be there, but we are here in western KY.

Cavingly,

Preston
+++++++++++++++++++++++
----- Original Message ----- From: <garyfrankl...@austin.rr.com>
Aimee Beveridge and Pete Strickland will be presenting the Program
“Scouting for big caves in Mexico for the ICS –
Bustamante and Carrizal- the Histo Cave”

Come out for an exciting presentation about caving adventures both above and below ground.

The meeting is on Wednesday from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
on the University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html

Contact Gary v...@utgrotto.org if you are interested in sharing your cave related events.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I meant SEPTEMBER 17 - Yes, tomorrow night

> UT Grotto meeting – SEPTEMBER 17
> www.utgrotto.org
>
> Aimee Beveridge and Pete Strickland will be presenting the Program
> “Scouting for big caves in Mexico for the ICS –
> Bustamante and Carrizal- the Histo Cave”
>
> Come out for an exciting presentation about caving adventures both above and
> below ground.
>
> The meeting is on Wednesday from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
> on the University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall
> http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html
>
> Contact Gary v...@utgrotto.org if you are interested in sharing your cave
> related events.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I believe it is the honeypot ant.

>From Wikepedia I found this:
Myrmecocystus nests are found in a variety of arid or semi-arid
environments. Some species live in extremely hot deserts, others reside
in transitional habitats, and still other species can be found in
woodlands where it is somewhat cool but still very dry for a large part
of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_ant

ROCKHUGGER
 Andy Zenker