texascavers Digest 17 Sep 2008 18:14:38 -0000 Issue 608

Topics (messages 8954 through 8958):

Re: Honeypot Ant: Photobucket of Caving Pictures (South Austin)
        8954 by: vivbone.att.net

Re: Scout Caving outing in Austin
        8955 by: Jules Jenkins

Re: Texas Cavers Reunion
        8956 by: Butch Fralia
        8957 by: Kurt L. Menking
        8958 by: Joe Ranzau

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
 more evidence, from a linked research paper....

"Worldwide there are several very different kinds of ants that exhibit extreme
repletism; all are properly called honey ants. One outstanding group; the genus
Myrmecocystus, occurs exclusively in western North America. Myrmecocystus
contains a diverse ensemblage of at least 28 closely related species, many of
which are broadly distributed."

http://www.sasionline.org/antsfiles/pages/honeyants/honey.html

I believe it is the honeypot ant.

>From Wikepedia I found this:
Myrmecocystus nests are found in a variety of arid or semi-aridenvironments.
Some species live in extremely hot deserts, others residein transitional
habitats, and still other species can be found inwoodlands where it is somewhat
cool but still very dry for a large partof the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_ant

ROCKHUGGER
 Andy Zenker
Texas Caver

From: mark.al...@l-3com.com <mark.al...@l-3com.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] RE: Scout Caving outing in Austin
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 5:32 PM

Calling all Austin area
cavers!

Anyone interested in
helping these guys out?

I would, but my
daughter and our Venturing Crew are taking Scouts horseback riding in east
Texas that weekend.

Please contact me
offline, if you can help!

Mark