Sears has a new cheap flashlight that I have been wanting to test.

     http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=412495

So I traded in my last purchase for it.

It is a Dorcy product, and the label says "HIGH PERFORMANCE L.E.D."

The product looks good on the outside for a flashlight under $ 15.

It has a very interesting hole on the end for hanging, and also a fold-out
carabiner.     This part is a good design.

The flashlight did not work straight out the box.     I had to diagnose it,
and bend a tap that connects the switch to the headpiece.    This took
a while to figure out.

The light pattern was one of the worst I have seen on an LED light.

The light claims to float, but only looked water-resistant.

If it were not for the poor light pattern, I would recommend this light for
newbies to take to caves where there is walking passage as light to
carry inside of their cavepacks.

I would have also recommended it for camping or overnight hikes, but
I can't.

The flashlight is very lightweight, but large.     For its size, it
could accomodate
much larger batteries or more batteries.

This flashlight was first designed as a halogen light, and it only has a LED
module in it.     That is good in that you can easily replace the module.

I suspect the flashlight would survive a 3 foot drop test or maybe even
higher.

It is too bad the light pattern sucked.     It does shine a long spotlight for
a 1/2 watt light, so you could use it to shine light up into a dome or a pit.

The switch does seem more rugged than other lights in the $ 15 price
range.

I don't see an easy way to modify the lens to diffuse the light?

David