This is probably old news to those of you who use
gadgets with lithium-ion batteries.

One of my favorite flashlights is my old Inova T4.
It uses a proprietary lithium-ion battery pack.

Unfortunately, I haven't used it in a few months, and
I let it become discharged.

The battery is dead.      I think I have had it about 2 years
now, but maybe longer.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-25924480583388_2023_25554487

According to one web-site:

Some lithium-ion batteries fail due to excessive low discharge. If
discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, the internal safety circuit opens
and the battery appears dead. A charge with the original charger is no
longer possible. Some battery analyzers (Cadex) feature a boost
function that reactivates the protection circuit of a failed battery
and enables a recharge. However, if the cell voltage has fallen below
1.5V/cell and has remained in that state for a few months, a recharge
should be avoided because of safety concerns.

To prevent failure, never store the battery fully discharged. Apply
some charge before storage, and then charge fully before use.

My battery can only be ordered online and cost over $ 31.00
( not very practical for caving, Right? )

David