I picked up a "Tony Hawk's Helmet Cam" about a year ago with the idea
that it was cheap enough to risk breaking it in a cave or dropping it
in a pool of water. It has survived a handful of caving trips,
including a thorough beating against the sides of Robber Baron cave.

Here's one for $25:
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Digital-Blue-Tony-Hawk-Helmetcam-1011956~.html?sid=6d9v35b715u3v12

For dropping a wide pit lit by daylight like Devil's Sinkhole, it does
a reasonable job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8H2ewVOd4

In a cave at a range of 2-3 feet with the 2nd brightest setting
selected on a Princeton Apex, it does a reasonable job:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G83DLfvW8Y

The video quality is about what you'd expect for a camera in its price
range: 320x240, 15fps, heavy compression artifacting, and poor
low-light response. For your average stumbling through a cave, the
results are mixed from poor to unwatchable, usually because they are
too dark, but sometimes because of a weakness inherent in any helmet
cam: it's attached to you helmet, which is in turn attached to your
head. Our sneaky little brains play a very neat trick on us where in
shifting our focus from one point to another, we perceive a smooth and
seamless transition. Watching *videos* of the same transition, from
almost the same perspective, our brains don't know how to perform this
smoothing, and the result is violent and almost nauseating. A
helmet-cam operator needs a great deal of focus and discipline to
overcome the natural instinct to turn his head at a normal speed for a
human, and this is a talent I do not have! Overall, it's a fun toy
that can shoot some crappy video that's great for your local grotto's
recruitment purposes, if nothing else.

~Alan Blevins