I'm going to say this isn't OT (off topic) since a lot of cave entrances got
found between say 1810 and 1865 in search of good sources for saltpetre, an
ingredient of gunpowder.

This from TagNet:

40,000 Pounds Of Saltpeter---How Many Pounds Nirates?
      By: Doug Plemons  (Sevierville, Tennessee)

I have been looking for the answer to one question about saltpeter
mining. I'm asking anyone else who might know how to figure this out. A
particular
saltpeter producer in Jefferson County, TN made up 40,000# of gunpowder
during the War of 1812 and sent it to Andy Jackson so he would help win
the war. My question is, what is the percentage of nitrates that thie
shipment had, in pounds? And approximately how much dirt would have to
been manhandled to obtain said amount? All the nitrates are reported to
come from ONE cave on this gunpowder maker's land. Would it had to have
been a fairly sizable operation? I am assuming that there were other
customers besides Andy J.