Yeah - thanks to all and now I'm waiting.
I did the toothpick thing and I figure the best thing is to keep the lowest
quarter of the thing wet in the water.
One of them is a little less than a quarter in the water.  I'm concerned a
little that my mode of avocado consumption leaves shallow cuts along the
pit.  I usually slice off segments of avocado a little at a time and in the
process the skin of the pit gets shallow lacerations.  I guess I could forgo
this 'bit by bit' way of eating them.
Incidentally, the ones I'm working on now are the cheaper, smaller Hass
variety.  Maybe I'll get one of those big $1.50 ones and be a little more
careful with the pit.
Ounce for ounce avocados have much less fat than peanut butter!  I'd rather
nosh on 'cados than pb... but they both obviously have their place.
-WaV