It varies based on what operating system you are using.
Hopefully it isnt Vista - 'cause I'm deliberately Vista Illiterate :-)
But you can try the following if its Win2000 or XP:
 Hold Cntl-Alt-Del
Then a  panel/popup thingy should show up that has tabs such as
Applications  Processes  Performance  Networking  Users
  Select Processes and identify the program that is doing this
  You might want to write down the name of the process that you know you
dont like
Use the Start 'button' on the lower left hand of your screen and find
"Control Panel" - it should be somewhere in there
  Then go into control panel - find the icon that says "Add or remove
programs"
  You might be able to match up the name of the offending executilbe with
one displayed in the list of Processes,
  If so - delete it.
Of course you could have selected the offending process by it's image name
in the Task Manager's Processes tab,
then gone down to the End Process button and hit it.  But if the process is
spawned by the User Name 'SYSTEM' it won't let you end it.
Also, you'd have to go back through the same process every time - so it'd be
better to try and wipe out the app rather than stopping it.

There are viral ware and spyware products available from McAfee and Symantic
- I've not always had total satifsfaction with these.

And of course - the only way to get rid of REALLY nasty spyware and malware
is to wipe out EVERYTHING with a byte by byte disk rewriter and start all
over again with a fresh operating system.

-WaVy
(not responcible for financial, temporal or relationship losses due to any
advice given in this forum - use entirely at your own risk)