A couple of things about solar panels:
1. They are very very expensive.
2. The current technology seems to only convert Infrared into electricity.
Wide spectrum conversion is being done, but only on the panels that go into
space - that kind of panel is 10 times more expensive.
I know someone that put together somewhere around 200 square feet of
panels.   Something like 20 foot wide by 10 feet.
It works great.  This time of year, for 8 to 10 hours a day it generates 2Kw
- around noon as much as 2.5Kw.  (cooling them with a wate hose will
momentarily boost them up to 3Kw)  As long as the sun is out.  Cloud shadow
drops output to less than 1Kw.
The cost - and he got them REAL chep - was about 25,000 dollars.  Then
consider a $5K gadget that puts that energy back on the grid.
At even fifteen cents per kilowatt hour - how long do you think it will take
for this to pay itself off?
(Answer:  Longer than those panels last - unless the cost for electricity
exceeds .30 /per Kw hour)
The government needs to SERIOUSLY consider MAJOR R&D tax credits, but until
then
Think Nuclear -
WaVy