Hi Diana--
I loved the 1959 version, especially when PAT Boone broke off a stalactite
and was karmically punished by having the passage start to flood.
-Frank Binney
P.S.--A Special Effects director friend of mine sent me the following about
the new version:
BTW, my good friend Eric Brevig just got his first full on directorial
job, The Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D. He has been one of
the top special effects people at ILM for many years (Men in Black among
many others). When we met in 1980 he was just out of college and was
getting into 3D stereo special effects on the Disney theme park shows.
He knows more about this than practically anyone. The reviews on the
movie are so-so due to the script, but everyone agrees that it must be
seen in 3D to really be appreciated.