Here's a story for you all.

A few days after Christmas 1993 I got a phone call from a man who said he was a
producer with Disney films. I thought some caving friend of mine was putting me
on, like I've done a time or two (like the time Rick Bridges was on TV talking
about Lechuguilla, so I called him and in my best fake French accent told him
it was Jacques Costeau, and "we should do zee projects togezer.") Anyhow, this
guy said that Disney had a script and an approved budget and they were going to
make another Journey to the Center of the Earth. Their premise was that the
Jules Verne story had happened, and now modern cavers were going to go back. It
was to be a new story, not the same one. They invited me to come to LA and
bring a duffel of caving gear, slides, and ideas of what sorts of gadgets
cavers in the future might use. So I took them up on it and went to LA a couple
of weeks later.

The morning I was to meet at the Disney studios was the morning of the
Northridge Earthquake. It happened in the wee hours of the morning. I was
staying in well known cavers Matt Oliphant and Nancy Pistole's guest house
behind Matt's parent's house on the north end of the LA basin. I didn't know
what to do about the scheduled meeting at the Disney studios. The phones were
out. So I picked my way around closed roads and made it to the studio in
Burbank, which was closed. Eventually I managed to get through to an associate
producer and we planned to meet at the director's home in Burbank later the
next day.

The director's (Charlie Haid) chimney on the side of his house was laying flat
in his yard. For several hours I met with him, two producers, a set designer
from England (who had designed the sets for the movie Willow), and a couple of
other people. I showed them gear, slides of Huautla, Cheve, Golondrinas, Honey
Creek, etc., and entertained them with caving stories. They got me to speculate
about what cavers of the future might have, like lightweight lights with very
bright beams (this was pre-LEDs), radio headsets in helmets like in Sylvester
Stallone's movie Cliffhanger, and so on.

The movie was a go and they started planning locations. They were in constant
touch with me and offered to hire me away from my job for one year. I named a
price, which I thought they would think would was too high ($250K) and they
agreed to it. They let me read their script and I told them there were lots of
things that cavers would scoff at. They let me re-write it to the point that I
thought cavers would like it.  I still have a copy of that script.  I've
thought about donating it for the TCMA auction.

Then the whole project fell through when Disney president Frank Wells, who had
climbed the Seven Summits, and was somewhat the outdoorsman, who planned on
making a series of outdoor adventure films and had already made Iron Will,
which Haid directed, was killed in a helicopter crash while remote skiing. The
Journey project was immediately shelved. About a month later the producer
called me and said he was going on to other projects and he didn't know what
would happen to the movie. He said, and I quote, "My guess is that they'll
change direction and start making goofy animated films instead." Michael Eisner
got Frank Wells job, and the rest is history..

Bill

PS - I asked them if Kurt Russell could play me, and they said they probably
could do that.