A few days ago, I mentioned I bought a new gadget.

It is not a PDA, although it looks like one and has
some of the same features.

It is the Nokia Internet Tablet.

No other shirt-pocket sized device surfs the web as
good as this - not even the iPhone.

Check out it's "Internet Calling" capability with
the built in video camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fhlh3hJs

I can safely say that it is obvious that in 10 years or
so, something like this is going to be mainstream.
Nokia is already selling a newer version of this
gadget, with a few more bells and whistles.

And you can order this one on the internet for $ 220.

                 http://www.tigerdirect.com

This device is great for downloading suspicious
web-sites that you are curious about but don't
want to infect your home computer.

If you carry a tiny phone, but sometimes want to
be able to surf the web away from home, then
this is your gadget.

It is a great portable photo viewer - maybe one
of the best.    And I believe you can but up to 8 gb
of photos or mpeg type videos.

If you already have a new PDA, or an iPhone, then
you will not find much interest in this gadget.    As it
does not make cell phone calls, or come with a lot
of applications already built in.

However, if you don't have a gadget like this yet,
I would recommend it to anyone with the patience
to learn how to use it.

So far, I am glad I bought it.     It should come in
handy when I resume my motor-scooter road-trips.

It appears to have a strong Wi-Fi antenna, as I can
usually surf the web from a distance of the hot-spot.

I don't know anything about hot-spots, so feel free
to give me some advice if you know anything about
them.

I can turn the device on, and be reading my Gmail,
in about a minute.      And the gadget can be left
on in standby mode, for a long time, so I don't need
to power it off.

It comes with 3 good games.     I have tested one
of the games, "Marbles" on a computer illiterate
relative and they immediately became addicted
to playing it.      The other 2 are a powerful chess game,
and a chinese card game which I don't know how
to play.

For specs on the N800 open the PDF link below:

           http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/NokiaN800Datasheet.pdf

There are geeks on the web that have
written several progams for this device, as it
it uses some kind of basic linux.

I haven't figured out how to install any of those programs yet.

One of them turns the video camera into a regular camera.

I have a Toshiba PDA that has seen little use.      Almost everything
the N800 does, it does better than the old Toshiba PDA.   The
Toshiba with PocketPC crashed twice and each time, I lost
all the information and programs stored on it.

2 B continued ...

David Locklear