That's a relevant question for me, at least.  Candice and I own a small cabin
on an oxbow lake in the Trinity River bottoms of northern Liberty County (about
60 miles NNE of Houston).  We've been having a similar, and unprecedented,
infestation of ladybugs for the last two months or so.  Each time we open the
cabin for the weekend, every window sill is covered with sadly expired
ex-ladybugs.

We haven't seen this phenomenon in the seven years that we've owned the cabin,
and we are equally uncertain as to where they are coming from.  Did they enter
the house seeking refuge from the cold, and can't find their way back out
again?  Or were they born somewhere in the house and then unable to escape?
The former seems more likely.  Whatever the reason, I wish it would stop
because there are usually only a few living ladybugs that can be "saved" when
we get there.  And I don't see how I could effectively bug-proof the cabin
further.  Its screens already effectively keep out mosquitoes and other typical
flying insects.  The cabin is old and up on stilts, so it's not likely that I
could seal all the places where they could squeeze (as opposed to fly) in.

Maybe this is just a particularly abundant season for ladybugs, making their
invasions much more visible?

Roger Moore

In a message dated 02/19/08 22:43:01 Central Standard Time, wavyca...@gmail.com