From: egels...@satx.rr.com [mailto:egels...@satx.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:17 AM
To: Don Cooper
Cc: John P Brooks; Fritz Holt; pitboun...@gmail.com; csnew...@gmail.com;
texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] OT - Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than
Nuclear Waste

I am definitely NOT an authority on "Cinder Blocks".  I do however have
a daughter that works for a major company that fabricates them. The make
over a million bricks per month right here in good old San Antonio.

The reference to Cinder in the name is no longer accurate.

The formula (I confirmed this) is water, portland cement, sand, and
differing aggregates depending on the model of brick being cast.

No ash from a coal fired power plant.

I have worked with the former HL&P plant and they used to sell their
soda ash to soil stabilization companys where they in turn mixed it with
lime and used it to (guess what?) stabilize soil; at constructions
sites.  Usually parking lots and foundations.

I would worry about that more than what might be in what used to be
cinder blocks.  It has been common in the past that some conctrete
mixers used to insert a percentage of soda ash in their cheap grades of
concrete to save money.  It might be worth someone spending their time
checking that out since concrete is so abundant.

Ed