I found one notable caver ( whose name ) is missing from
the 50 years.   Her photo was in the panoramic that
I mentioned.

Her name is Mary Kay Manning.

She was very active in the A.S.S. from
1985 to 86, and was in charge of rigging
caves on nearly every trip she went on.
And even hauled the ropes to places like
Precipicio.

She has been a park ranger at Big Bend
and stationed at Panther Junction for
the last 20 years.

She has won numerous ropeclimbing awards
at TCR.    And in my opinion, the only
years she didn't win, were the years
that she didn't show up.

It is probably true that she was not active
in caving projects.   Bicycling or hiking
was probably more important to her than
caving.     However, she probably knows
where a few caves in Big Bend are.

I imagine somebody out there has a good
photo of her in a cave.    I have one
good enough for a newsletter article.  I
just didn't think it was good enough to
publish in a modern book about caving.

*** If *** someday, somebody publishes a 2nd edition,
then there is enough blank space listed in
the A.S.S. section to add her name.

I have been on trips with her to Hell Below,
Lake Cave, Christmas Tree Cave, Carlsbad
Caverns, Precipicio, Palmito, Carrizal, Langtry
Lead cave, and Emerald Sink, ( several times ),
Sally Cave, and many others that I have
long since forgotten.    And she went on many
more trips than that, that I never went on.
And that was only in the mid-80's.  I don't know
what caves she has been to since then, but I
do know that she uses her vacations to travel
the world.

If anybody wants to write a "caver of the month"
article, she certainly once deserved to have
her biography published in the Texas Caver.

I don't know if she was ever awarded the
"Chuck Stuehm Award," but she once deserved it.

Are the Stuehm Award recipients listed in
50 years?

David Locklear