Diana,

Well put.  I think one of the best examples of dissent and challenging
ideas in science occurred with the controversy over the supposed
discovery of "Cold Fusion."  While I'm not sure that there has been a
good explanation of what physically was going on with the reaction (I
don't follow this area of physics and chemistry very closely), I think
that all of the folks that attempted to reproduce the experiments agree
that fusion wasn't it.  Sorry, but the claims of electric power too
cheap to meter never occurred.  The Laws of Thermodynamics still stand.

Geary