OK, let�s all make sure we are using the same terms.

Evolution � a variation of a species passed on from one generation to the
next � is an observed fact.  But to say that that small variation
multiplied a million times over billions of years is responsible for life
on Earth as we know it -- is a theory.

By definition, a theory is a hypothesis that has been substantiated, but
not proven.  Many aspects of that theory have been shown to be true, but
there are many aspects of that theory that have not even been
substantiated.

For example, one critical part of the theory that evolution resulted in
life on Earth is the jump from amino acids to viable DNA/RNA sequences.
As we all know, even the simplest, single cell life forms on Earth have
DNA sequences that hold enough information to fill an encyclopedia.  And
the order of that sequence is so critical that something as subtle as the
equivalent of a misspelled word would make the life form non-viable.

We have theories about how some amino acids were floating around in some
primordial soup, and somehow some energy source jolted the mixture to come
up with a single cell life form (it occurred in the south of France if you
are a believer in Star Trek), but we have been unable to prove that
theory.

And it is this specific gap in the theory that caused atheist Antony Flew
in 2004 to observe that the statistical odds of the primordial jolt
producing a viable DNA sequence were so astronomical as to make that
theory �unbelievable�.  Creationist love to use the analogy that it would
be like a printing press exploding and a complete copy of the Encyclopedia
Briticanna falling out.

And this is what re-ignited the non-religious intelligent design theory.
Contrary to some reports, Antony never said he believed in a deity, but
rather, he said that some sort of intelligent design was necessary to
overcome the astronomical odds needed to produce a viable DNA sequence.
He makes no claim as to what that intelligent design is, only that it
exists.
Again, this is just another unsubstantiated theory about one of the steps
needed to produce life on Earth as we know it.

Now, if you go one step further and make some claim that you have specific
knowledge of that intelligent designer, then you have stepped out of
science and into faith.

--CF