Don, assuming each diode has a voltage drop of 3.6 volts, your series string of 40 would have a voltage drop of 144 volts at rated current. (I assume 20 mA) The red dot marks the positive terminal of the capacitor. At only 20 mA the capacitor may level the voltage closer to the peak value of the voltage You may want to use a 1000 ohm resistor and two capacitors - one on either side of the resistor - a pi network filter. Use a 1/2 watt or greater resistor. Using a multimeter check the current in the circuit. Meter should be in series with the LEDs. Adjust the value of the resistor to keep the current at or less than the rated current for the LED's.

Check the spec sheet for your LEDs for actual ratings.

Best regards,

Bill Walden
.
Don Cooper wrote:
Speaking of LEDs... I'm wanting to use a large capacitor to level the voltage off half-wave rectification (single std.diode isolating the capacitor - [k.i.s.]) - for a big series string of 40 white LEDs that are hooked up direct with a 100ohm resistor in series. It works, but flickers at 60hz. It is running on the positive side of the sine wave which I think peaks at 177v (110 RMS). While swinging negative across the LEDs - the house current is a disconnect. They are diodes after all. It's a fairly bright and efficient light (probably). Unusually oriented - the multiple inline elements produce "polarized shadows" (only vertically aligned objects in the room have defined shadows - this might make an interesting way to light cave formations!) Hooked up to AC - the flicker is a bit bothersome. But making it "on" all the time using a capacitor to reservoir the voltage, it will appear much brighter. (A beefier load resistor might be in order to maintain the constant rather than flickering wattage).

QUESTION: I found a big 820uF cap - rated at 200vdc. But it does not have clearly marked pos/neg terminal. There is red paint on the base rivet that holds the terminal on.
Is that the Negative or Positive side?

-WaV
A dog. A panic in a pagoda.