        From: Lyndon Tiu [mailto:l...@alumni.sfu.ca]
        Sent: Sun 10/28/2007 8:22 AM
        To: Texas Cavers
        Subject: Re: [Texascavers] OT - recycling economics

        Mike Quinn wrote:
        > Dr. David Goodstein, a physics professor at the California Institute
of Technology and author of the best seller: "Out of Gas: The End of the Age of
Oil" estimates that it would take 10,000 new nuclear power plants to replace
the energy created by oil but even then the world's uranium would be gone in
one or two decades.

        That's assuming we are using 10,000 "fission" nuclear power plants.
        Uranium is a non-renewable resource. The supply of uranium will follow a
        depletion curve similar to that of oil.

        "Fusion" nuclear (as opposed to "fission") holds more promise as it uses
        heavy water/regular water/hydrogen which is more abundant, but if I
        understand it correctly, current fusion nuclear technology is only good
        for WMD's and not for power generation.

        There is international work underway to develop fusion nuclear tech for
        power generation. If I remember it correctly, a reactor is being built
        in France for this. Try googling it.

        --
        Lyndon Tiu