I couldn't confirm it, so it's almost certainly an urban
legend.

One of the best sites I found was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can

One snippet from there is:
When recycled without other metals being mixed in, the can/lid combination is
perfect for producing new
stock for the main part of the can � the loss of magnesium during melting is
made up for by the high magnesium
content of the lid. Also refining ores such as bauxite into aluminum requires
large amounts
of electricity, making recycling cheaper then smelting.

Mike

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, mmin...@nmhu.edu wrote:

>      I can't believe that's true.  For one thing, it would be too much effort
> to cut off the top.  And I'll
bet the rest of the can weighs way more then the top.  Who
>cares how little Al is in any particular part of the can - it'll all melt
>down.  I don't buy it.  See
><http://earth911.org/recycling/aluminum-can-recycling/how-is-an-aluminum-can-recycled/>.
>
>Mark Minton

>      Mike Flannigan said:
>
>>what about the claim that the sides and bottom of the can don't have enought
>>Al to recycle.  I'm told they
only recover the Al in the top of the can.