If you use noodles (vermicelli) it's called fideo (or something like that) in Spain. Never on bread.. and a true paella valenciana has snails in it. and short grain rice..

T.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Minton, Mark"
Sent: Oct 30, 2007 2:01 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] RE: Paella

      Ediger said:

>But basically, I think, the overridding theme of paella is the conglomeration of sea food with other (practically any other) added ingredients. The need for it to be served on a flat bread seems to be fading.

      The other necessary ingredient is rice.  I've never heard of Paella over bread or noodles.  I like Mary Thiesse's friend's comment:

>>If you serve Paella on a piece of bread to a Spaniard, and you tell them that is paella they would probably leave the table.
      The first paella I ever had was in Baja California near Ensenada.  It was spectacular, with all manner of seafood including tiny octopus.  It also had chicken and chorizo.  Yum!

Mark Minton

http://home.infionline.net/~tbsamsel/