Oh Kara, how I do sympathize with all you chigger victims. I grew up in East Texas where there was a redbug (as we called them) on every grass blade. Fortunately they don't exist in the PacNW. I googled chiggers (and from your article, apparently you did, too) and found some additional helpful hints:

Prevention

Before going into an area where chiggers may be present, protect yourself by using a repellent such as deet (Off MGK, Muskol, Detamide, Metadelphene, Repel, Diethy-toluamide) or permethrin available at many drugstores or hardware stores. Deet-based repellents are effective for only a few hours, whereas permethrin-based repellents are for use only on clothing and effective for several days. Apply the repellent to both the skin and clothing, especially on hands, arms, or legs, if uncovered, and to clothing openings at cuffs, neck, waistband, and upper edges of socks. Follow label directions since repellents may damage plastics, nail polish, and painted or varnished surfaces. Do not use indiscriminately as severe human allergies can develop. Keep moving since the worst chigger infestations occur when sitting or laying down in a sunny spot at midday with temperatures above 60�F. If possible, stick to roads and trails.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

Ohio State University

Protection

     Several commercially available repellents are effective against chigger infestations. These repellents usually contain one or more of the following compounds: permethrin, diethyl toluamide, dimethyl phthalate, dimethyl carbate, ethyl hexanediol and benzyl benzoate. Most repellents are also effective against mosquitos and other insects. They are formulated as liquids, aerosol sprays, solid sticks and ointments. Common dusting sulfur, although somewhat messy and odorous, is also a very effective repellent.
     Repellents should be used according to instructions. Usually, they provide protection from chiggers for several hours. For protection which lasts several days, saturate clothing by soaking or spraying it with a repellent solution.
     For further prevention, wear loose-fitting clothing and avoid sitting or reclining on the ground when camping, picnicking, or working outdoors. [Ah, those ever-helpful Aggies!]

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/L-1223.html

Texas A&M University

I sorta liked this one, too. At least you'll be able to tell whether or not you're going to itch all night.

You can check out whether an area is infested with chiggers by using a simple technique. Six-inch squares of black paper placed vertically in the grass will become covered with chiggers if they are present. Because several hours elapse before chiggers settle down to bite, bathing soon after exposure to chigger-infested areas may wash chiggers off your body and prevent feeding. Clothing also should be washed to prevent reinfestation.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/chiggers(008).shtml

University of Nebraska, Lincoln

Louise