Scott Nicholson said:

>Does anyone out there have any feedback/suggestions as I make the leap into
>the digital photography world??

      A really nice, small camera for quick point-and-shoot underground is the
Pentax Optio WP and its successors the W10 and W30
<http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camera--Optio_W30/reqID--9587364/subsection--optio>.
  It won't give you the kind of quality that an SRL will, but you can't beat it
for routine photos on the go.  We use one for documentation on almost every
trip we take, and get some remarkably good pictures.  It is waterproof and has
a real optical zoom.  The only thing it really needs is a better and/or
external flash.  It costs $200 - $300.

Mark Minton