A lot of the fun/pain of digital photography for many people is interface dominated. The same is true for film cameras with computerized controls. If the interface of that really nice camera doesn't jive with the way you think, or controls you use all the time are buried in layers of menues to it takes 45 seconds to take a picture all the time, you'll get mad. Make sure you actually use the camera as much as you can, or at least cameras in the same series made by the same manufacturer, so you can get some idea of how it really works for you.

If you take a lot of pictures, you'll need a big hard drive.

There's some kind of WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) problem with Nikon that some caused some rather serious photographers I know to each abandon several thousand dollars of Nikon lenses and start over completely with Canon when they went digital. I don't remember exactly what it was but it involved using a CCD in the camera that was the wrong size (or something like that) so that although the pre-digital lenses and digital cameras were mechanically compatible and billed as such, that the images were not produced correctly in the image plane, or the image in the viewfinder was not the same in the screen or photo, or there was distortion because the chip picked up the non-rectified part of the image from the lens, or something like that. A friend of mine just bought a rather expensive "digital" version of a Nikon lens for his non-Nikon camera that uses Nikon lenses. I don't know what this is really all about but if you have Nikon lenses you want to use with the D200, look before you leap.

The speed of throughput from digital camera to posted image on the Internet or printed image (via photo retailer or your own printer) is staggeringly fast compared to film.

All of my TCR images were taken with a $450 Canon SD850 that fits in my pocket. I can't imagine what I could do if I had the money to spend on a digital camera that actually had parts.

Gregg

Scott Nicholson wrote:
Since the current topic is (Cave) Photography........
I'm finally upgrading/updating my camera setup from film to digital. I've used Canon/Pentax/Nikon 35mm SLR gear for many years...and I'm in the middle of the learning curve about Digital SLR cameras. I've /almost/ decided on the Nikon D200. Does anyone out there have any feedback/suggestions as I make the leap into the digital photography world?? *Scott Nicholson*
*Broker/Waterboy*
*The Discovery Team*
*(512) 94-SCOTT {947-2688}*
*Keller Williams Realty*