From: dirt...@comcast.net [mailto:dirt...@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 11:01 AM
To: John P. Brooks; Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Texas Gulf Coast Faults

Texas Gulf Coast Faults

Are real faults.  The Earth has broken and rocks on either side of them
have moved relative to each other.  There are a lot of them.

They are not mud cracks!  A mud crack is a shrinkage phenomenon where
the surface layer of the mud has contracted as it shrank.  Cooling hot
rocks can do the same thing and produces columnar jointing seen in
igneous rocks (columnar basalt as at Fingal's Cave, the Devil's
Postpile, or Devil's Tower).

A fracture or joint is where the rocks are broken but not displaced.
Fracture traces are where there is a swarm of fractures closely spaced.
Tens or a hundred instead of just one.  But still no relative motion
across the fracture, just an incipient opening. A good place to drill
your water well as the yield will be better.  If faulting occurs, joints
and fracture traces are weaknesses in the rock and an actual fault may
propagate along a series of fractures.

A fault is where the earth is displaced and there has been relative
motion across the fault.  It means that there is differential stress on
either side and movement along the fault releases that stress. It is
like bending a stick until it finally breaks. The sense of motion can be
vertical or lateral, or a combination. When the opposite sides of the
fault actually move, an earthquake occurs. That said, most faults are
not the gigantic ones like the San Andreas where there has been
continued motion of hundreds of miles of displacement over millions of
years.

Most faults along the Texas coast are places where adjustment
(relatively small movements along the faults) has taken place over
geologic time as the coast is gently raised and lowered, loaded by the
accumulation of additional sediment, unloaded by erosion, or it is
alternatively loaded and unloaded as sea level rises and falls.

Drilling and geophysical data show the faults quite well, but they are
hard to see at the surface.  The surface fault traces are usually places
where there is slightly more ground moisture and a few more blades of
grass per acre.  If you look carefully, you can see that!  I remember
when I worked for the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology we laid out a
large mosaic of air photos on the gym floor.  If you got up on a
step-ladder, you could see the fault and fracture traces delineated by
slightly greater soil moisture (or something). They were shown as
subtile lines most probably caused by more grass, lines of better tree
and shrub growth, and slight alignments of small drainages. It takes
subsurface data to determine if actual fault displacement has occurred
along any given line (linement).  We did that exercise to locate
possible faults in relation to proposed siting of a  nuclear power
plant.

That said, these are not locations where there should be great concern.
However, when the inevitable adjustments of the Earth's surface occurs,
breaks will most likely occur again along one of these faults, where it
has broken before.  There is not much problem for individuals, unless
your house happens to be on top of one of them when does move.  Not very
probable in your lifetime, but it could happen -----.

All things are relative, and driving to a cave is a LOT more dangerous!

DirtDoc