A much better use to my way of thinking, having lived in Houston for 15 years.

Louise

From: cavera...@aol.com
To: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org, Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Texas Gulf Coast Faults
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:23:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/2007 11:21:59 AM Central Daylight Time, gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org writes:
While there isn't much that can be done
about the general subsidence of the gulf on a geologic time line, they
are very considered about over pumping and subsidence related to
groundwater removal and have pretty much forced the entire area off of
groundwater.  A couple feet loss of elevation in the Houston area could
be significant when the next Class 5 hurricane comes ashore.
The Brownwood Subdivision on a branch of Galveston Bay in Baytown learned the lesson of subsidence in a painful way, especially during Category 3 hurricane Alicia in 1983.  This subdivision had lost enough elevation that it was completely flooded by Alicia's storm surge.  The remaining homes were declared unsafe, and the area was bought out by (I believe) the federal government.  The subdivision was demolished, and the area is now a wetlands nature park for the City of Baytown.

Roger Moore