They were very lucky. I read in my local newspaper yesterday that Tecolutla and surrounding area got hit pretty hard. It devastated their fruit trees and fruit crops, corn and sugarcane. Local people were not as concerned about their houses, because many have been left without a way to make a living. They are not too sure that their government will be able to help them get back on their feet. I wish there were some way to help them--friend to friend.

Apparently there was also damage around El Tajin. That would be a shame. It's such a beautiful site. See:

http://www.dallas.net/%7Elalo/eltajin.html

Louise

From:  "Bill Mixon" <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
To:  "CaveTex" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject:  [Texascavers] Dean
Date:  Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:27:59 -0600
Here's something from Mexico about Hurricane Dean:

JIM CONRAD'S NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
Issued from Sierra Gorda Biosphere Reserve in
Jalpan, Quer�taro, M�XICO

August 24, 2007

*****

HURRICANE DEAN
On Internet "regional-radar animations" I'd watched
Dean since it was a gathering of peaceful-looking
clouds over central Africa. Wednesday morning when it
came ashore on Mexico's Gulf Coast after crossing the
Yucatan Peninsula and the southern Gulf of Mexico, it
had regained strength so that it was again a Level II
hurricane, and its projected path carried it exactly
over us in eastern Quer�taro state.

Still, the Reserve's workers who were scheduled that
day to go into the mountains to visit isolated villages
didn't change their plans at all. Despite forecasts of
up to 20 inches of rain in the mountains, I didn't hear
of any evacuations around here. In fact, I didn't see
any precautions being taken by anyone at all, everyone
saying the mountains to the east would protect us.

In the end, they were right. At the last moment I think
the storm's center jagged a bit southward, just grazing
us. Only occasionally during the storm's passage did we
have a breeze strong enough to move tree leaves. But we
did get rain -- five inches of it (12 cm) -- which was
exactly what we needed, because our rainy season hasn't
been nearly as rainy as normal.

For us in the Jalpan Valley, Hurricane Dean was
something wonderful.

You may "Reply" to the address from which this message was sent,
but note the following permanent addresses for long-term use:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org, sa...@amcs-pubs.org