Are we being asked to vote against tollroads because it is bad for cavers
or caving or caves?

Are there any proposed tollroads that are going to destroy a cave more so
than a regular highway project would?

Are there any tollway benefits to cavers?

Tollroads may not work in some areas, but here in the suburbs of
Houston, most of us don't see any way, but the tollway.      I could
easily spend $ 360 a month
on the tollways I take to work.     I am doing everything I can to avoid
them and stay on the backroads, but that burns gas and puts unnecessary
miles on my car.     And the time I spend sitting in traffic, is time I could be
bouncing my toddler on my knee, or reading them a bed-time story.

Does anybody in West Texas want their tax-dollars spent on building more
roads in Houston, so that I can get to work faster?       I don't think so.   So
the user fee system is the only choice.

My concern is that the toll-roads seem to be owned or to be potentially owned
by non-Texans or even people who live out-side of Texas.    Are the profits
being used to build the tower of Dubai?

How many of you take the tollroad to Columbia to save time on the trip
to Bustamante?     I like that tollway.     But what does the money
really go
to and is it being used properly?

Another problem I have with tollways is that a large part of the money goes
to paying employees and for enforcement of tolls.     This money wouldn't
be necessary on a regular highway project.     And tollbooths are inconvenient
and create bottlenecks.

One tollway in Houston goes from a rich suburb towards the medical center.
It cuts right thru a poor minority section of town.    They put no
ramps for miles
thru there, so these people would not be able to access the tollway.     This
would never be allowed on a regular highway project.

Please vote for the extension of The Grand Parkway ( 99 ) thru
Ft. Bend County to Hwy. 6 ( as a tollway).     I will be able to go to
Mexico down Hwy 59, and save maybe 30 minutes or more off the
drive-time, by by-passing several cities like Sugarland, and it will
be a huge help in my deliveries for my business.   I want it built now
- not tommorow, but there is much opposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bend_Parkway_Toll_Road

http://blogs.chron.com/fortbend/archives/2007/09/is_a_new_tolled_4.html

If you look at some of the population forecast ( and worse case scenarios ), we
are going to have a frickin lot of people living in Texas someday.
How are they
going to get to work, where are they going to get the fuel for their
SUV's?    Who
is going to pay for the roads to be built and maintained.

Have any of you seen the width of the Katy Freeway in west Houston?    20
lanes in some places if not more.      Imagine thousands of big SUV's
idling their
V-8's bumper-to-bumper in both directions during rush hour?

If we ever do really really run out of oil, all of these super
highways are going
to look kind of funny.      What will the super-highways look like
when gas hits $ 6 a gallon.      Sooner or later, the masses are going
to realize that they can
no longer afford the luxury of a Suburban or a Ford Excursion.     Oil
is going to
hit $ 130 a barrel within the next 20 years if not much sooner.    I am going
with the year 2021.

I saw gas last week for $ 2.48 a gallon at the Racetrack.     I doubt
we will ever
see it dip below $ 2.50 again in our lifetime, especially during peak times like
when we like to go on summer vacation.

Someday Texas is going to have a population of 40 million people whether
we build tollroads or not.     The social problems we will face will be much
more problematic than the issues concerning tollways.

On a related subject,

I would like to turn your attention to an interesting article written
in "The Texas
Monthly" magazine.     It is entitled - "Mexican Immigration - the problem
we must face sooner or later."       Can you guess what year it was published?
Try 1929.

David Locklear

Ref:

The Texas Monthly magazine I am refering to is not related to Texas
Monthly being published these days.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/TT/edtmx.html