A team of archealogist led by Oxford University has claimed
to have found some old sea shells in a cave in eastern Morocco.

The shells resemble the photo below;

http://www.economist.com/images/20070609/2307ST1.jpg

[ This photo is from a different site in South Africa ]

The shells are postulated to be the oldest known jewelry with
a date of approximately 82,000 years ago.

The cave is called "Grotte des Pigeons," and is in an area
known as "Tafoughalt,"  approximately 25 miles from the coast

http://www.oxfordmail.net/_images/db/54/60/05om14beads.546020.full.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/06/070607-oldest-beads.html

I didn't see any information about the cave.     Is it just a rock shelter?

I have always been curious as to how my pre-historic ancestors lived.
The people
who made this jewelry lived about 2,280 to 4,000 generations ago.
I doubt they spoke English or wore Wrangler jeans or tennis shoes.
I doubt their religion was anything that I would understand.    It
would be cool if I knew their names or exactly
where they lived and how they lived.     If they were just as smart as
us, yet never
had to learn to read or write or do math, what did their brains do all
day?    They
didn't have to memorize anything, right?     Were they interested in their own
history?    Or did they just make grunting sounds all day long?    It is easy to
assume they lived like the aborigines of Australia in the 1800's.
For me personally, I have some native american indian heritage, so it
is likely part of
my prehistoric ancestors crossed the Pacific Ocean somehow from the orient.
I wonder how they made the journey.     What would have happened had they
decided to stay put in China or Mongolia?     And I am curious about my
European ancestors and how they came to Europe.    Did they migrate
north from the middle east or Africa?      Will DNA ever answer any of
these questions?

If mankind survives another 80,000 years, what do you think those people will
have to remember us by?     I don't believe I will be leaving anything
behind that
an archealogist could dig up - a 100 years from now.    Maybe we should have
a large plate of aluminum laser cut to tell something important, and then place
it in a dry cave where nobody can find it for thousands of years.     What cave
and what should the message say?

David Locklear