Butch,

The "Caves of Houston," otherwise known as the storm sewers, have stalactites, bacon rind, etc. We used to "cave" there in the 70s when we had nothing else to do. Somewhere in my prehistoric slide files I have some pictures.

Louise

From: "Butch Fralia" <cave...@charter.net>
To: "'Brian Riordan'" <riordan.br...@gmail.com>,"'Don Cooper'" <wavyca...@gmail.com>
CC: "'Texas Cavers'" <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] [Bat "Caught" by Stalactite]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:57:40 -0500

I'm staying out of the religious controversy though I agree with the concept of not dissing another persons beliefs.  I guess some of the ultra religious could consider what I'm about to say as "bearing witness!"

I have observed some very fast formation growth in an area where the soil appears to be acidic and by actual test has a fairly high concentration of CO2.  The growth occurred during a period of heavy rain and soil saturation, pretty much like we're having now.

Back in the "early days" of the CBSP project, we were doing a lot of CO2 testing, TPWD furnished the equipment, an Oxygen meter and Draeger device with lots of CO2 tubes.  Ed Young got this wild idea to dig a little core hole about a foot deep, cover it and come back in a couple of hours with the Draeger and test the CO2.  There were usually concentrations of 2-3%.

1990 was a year of extremely heavy rain and the soil was well saturated.  We got flooded several times and couldn't get off the park until flood water receded.

In Gorman Cave, from one month to the next some small formations had grown 1/8-1/4" in length.  Some of the old discolored flowstone had new white growth on top.  We didn't do actual measurements of the formations or the thickness of the flowstone growth but it was easy to observe.

I'm not scientist enough to analyze all the variables but certain conditions apparently can make for pretty fast formation growth.

If you've ever been sewerlunking, you'll see some nice little flowstone formations and even a few soda straws that have grown in the last 30 years since that was about how old the drain was.

Butch