A few weeks ago, I posted an idea about putting a USB stick on the
inside of your computer.    This idea met with little fanfare.

Asus, a motherboard company, has decided to take my idea one step
farther.    They took the plastic shell off the USB stick and then
soldered the flash-memory card to one of their newest Vista-ready
motherboards.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/asus-vistaedition/phison.jpg

Of course, there are obvious disadvantages to this, like what if you
get bad memory or your memory later fries.    Or you decide you like
it, but want more flash-memory.

But with 512 Mb, you could "temporarily store" your current work projects,
especially Word and Excel files.

I think the main reason they are doing this is that they claim it
"might" speed up the time that your Vista computer boots.      But if
you already have fast RAM, this new Vista feature, will not be
improved by the flash-memory.

Ten years ago, I worked for an engineering research company on a
AutoCAD station.  The computer had a huge 600 Mb hard-drive.     My
point is that you
can probably find a practical use for a 512 Mb flash-memory on your
motherboard.

My prediction is that in another 10 years, computers will have a mother-board
slot for internal flash-memory.   It "might" use something similar to
Firewire 800, and we will be talking about gigabytes.    For example,
Lexar,
already has a Firewire 800 CF Card reader for their fastest 8 Gb cards:

http://www.lexar.com/readers/pro_udma_reader.html

In summary, now would be a good time to invest some money in a start-up
company making flash memory.

David Locklear