From: Geary Schindel [mailto:gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 1:47 PM
To: eda...@realtime.net; Cavers,Texas
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Nalgene bottles toxic?

Back when I worked on Superfund projects and we were doing lots of
analyses for VOC's (volatile organic compounds) as well as other
compounds, we used to see plastisizers all the time in water samples.
This included phthalates such as Bis(2-ethylhexyl)adipate as well as
some other compounds such as bisphenol-A.  The phthalates are very
common post sample compounds that you would see related to use of
certain types of labware, usually HDPE; PVC well casing; etc.  I'm sure
that it is present in plastic ice cube trays, most containers for
bottled water, water hoses, PVC piping etc.  We still commonly see
phthalates in samples collected from wells with PVC piping and many of
these wells have been in use for many years.  As far as I know, there is
not a Maximum Contaminate Limit (MCL) for phthalates or other
plastisizers; however, questions have been raised about their safety as
noted in the recent posting.

On one project, I had to design and set up a decontamination station for
sampling equipment on a site and we couldn't use any HDPE material.
HDPE is the material used to make most water bottles, milk jugs, etc
Everything had to be made out of stainless steel, Teflon, or
polypropylene so that we wouldn't detect any plastisizers.    We had to
periodically collect water samples from the decon system and would have
to have them analyzed for a very wide range of parameters including
metals, herbicides and pesticides, VOCs, Semi VOC's, PCB's, etc. This
was at a cost of about $2,000 per sample.  Occasionally, we would run
samples from the faucet from our job trailer just to keep the lab honest
and compare it to the decon system.  The decon water treatment system
worked great and we never had any problems but the water from the job
trailer had all kinds of interesting things in it.  The source of water
for the trailer was a public water supply system but I suspect many of
the chemicals were coming from the PVC piping in the trailer (or
possibly public water supply PVC water pipes)

Occasionally, we also had to ship water samples and sometimes decon
water to various sites and we would always ship them in polypropylene
containers.  We never had a problem with polypropylene leaching and we
were commonly running our detection limits in the part per trillion
level (about 5 seconds in 130 years).  However, polypropylene is hard to
find and you have to make an effort to find it even in the lab supply
houses.  If I remember correctly, a 5 gallon polypropylene carboy was a
couple hundred dollars.

When I did some research on the bottled water companies some years ago,
it was interesting to note that many of the bottled water companies
claim they have a pure source of water (whatever that is) or have a high
level of treatment but then place the water in HDPE plastic containers.
It has been a number of years since I've dealt with the bottled water
business and I should do some new research on if and how they have
solved this problem.

Geary