Lowell Eck told me way back in the '80s that Nalgene bottles (the thick, durable ones) were "nert"--meaning that they were not "inert". They are not chemically stable, and plasticizers and such will come out of them and contaminate whatever is stored in them. At some point, I guess, if the contents are changed often enough, all the bad juju ought to get leached out and the bottles stabilize, but how long that'll take and which chemicals (contents) are more likely to disolve/absorb them is open to discussion.

I used to carry "not water" in mine on river trips, but stopped doing both a long time ago.

--Ediger