I've been wondering how to help. No monetary donations can possibly be converted in time to prevent the major catastrophe, though it will be necessary to contribute to insure the continued existence of aid agencies after this hit. I have thought about trying to get there, but to be useful (i.e. to get food and water where it is needed within 48 hours) will require a boat or helicopter. There are one or two roads left and I bet the DHS won't let anyone in. I would suggest that the only way one can help if one were not (un)lucky enough to be in the city with extra water and food (or a boat) before Katrina hit would be to provide direct assistance to evacuees. I don't mean monetary contributions necessarily, but going to wherever refugees are, or calling such places by phone, and finding out exactly what they need.

Gregg