From: Gill Ediger <gi...@worldnet.att.net>
To: cave...@cavetex.net
Sent: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:52:45 -0400
Subject: CaveTex: Volunteers

At 05:17 PM 9/1/2005, Gregg Geist wrote:
>I've been wondering how to help.

I've been victimized by hurricanes in South Texas on a couple of occasions.
After one of um we had water up to my belly-button in the living room of our
house which was 3 feet off the ground to begin with.

There are a lot of normal life activities that get interrupted when there is no
electricity, no city water, no phones, no gas, and no a whole lot of other
things--except trash and garbage--wet trash and garbage. Hauling shit out and
throwing it away--aside from a bit of heartbreak when a good bit of it is
memorabilia--is the hardest physical part of the whole ordeal. There are 2
things that I think flood victims need from the outset and will appreciate the
most. One is help with the toting. Good strong bodies to help haul ruined
pianos, mattresses, refrigerators, freezers, and the like outa the house if not
to the street (most appliances will not be appreciably damaged by water--their
works are sealed, but the do need to be hauled out of the house to be out of
the way and so they can dry out). Chests-of-drawers fall apart, furniture
delaminates, books become soggy masses--and heavy. It's all gotta be carried to
the street so the city (or contract haulers) can get it loaded a!
nd hauled off. That is a lot of work, especially for the old and infirm who
have nobody to help otherwise. Young, strong cavers make excellent shit movers.
If you can find a way to be part of a group--like a bunch of Grotto
members--and go there and be recognized as a responsible assemblage somebody
will probably find somebody in need of getting their shit moved. The next
useful activity would be feeding people. People with big caving trucks--weren't
we just talking about that?--can get food from somewhere (buy it, get it from
donated stashes at the Red Cross or local agencies, or wherever) and cruise the
streets handing out fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, and jalapenos to all the
people cleaning all that soggy shit outa their houses. Working hard in the
southern sun, heat, and humidity under absolutely horrible conditions is not
conducive to food preparation. Having someone show up on the street every few
hours with rolling sustenance is a thing that will be appreciated be!
yond belief. Again, though, you'll have to go to whoever has assumed the role
of constituted authority and present your case and your credentials--and try to
convince them to give you some simple-minded thing to do. They might have a few
ideas of their own.

And something to keep in mind is that groups have more credibility, offer a bit
more accountability, and are more likely to be given some meaningful job right
away. Cavers should not forget that they have some skills that mere mortals do
not. You should mention--if you are interested in that sorta thing--that you
have confined space qualifications and vertical/high-angle rope qualifications
(and even the rope and equipment).

--Ediger