I use the query feature quite a bit for georeferencing species locations for some caddisflies I work on.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/

It has a pretty nice feature that links directly to topozone.com so you can check to see if the query found what you're looking for. Then you can click around to find the exact point to get pretty accurate GPS coordinates.

--tm