I acknowledge the caving community for finding solutions to support each
other in times of need. Those responsible for organizing this at the TCC
headquarters clearly deserve to be thanked for their efforts.
But I would strongly disagree with the point of view that you have proposed.
If a government does provide for the safety and welfare of its citizens in a
time of need; Of what benefit is it ? Our Government and constitution are
clearly based on principles of freedom, democracy and collective safety.
Otherwise why would the collected States unite under a Federal Government.
When threatened with hostile action; we collectively respond as a nation.
The basis for this action is clearly established in our constitution. When
the misguided policies of an administration lead us to a war based on faulty
intelligence; we PROUDLY respond as a nation. Our constitution provides a
basis for that as well. When the World Trade Center was attacked; we
responded as a nation. To respond differently in the event of a natural
disaster and to think that it is acceptable that the people affected do not
require federal assistance and aid is a slippery slope of failed reason.
While I would concur that the Government should NOT develop and / or create
a welfare state where all citizens feel that they are entitled to being
supported. It is clearly; within the realm of responsibility of the Federal
Government to respond to unforeseen incidents that affect and impact the
health, safety and welfare of its citizens.
This recent crisis has clearly demonstrated that the "ownership" society and
compassionate conservatism proposed by the Bush Administration is clearly a
failed national policy and is without integrity. In its mission to radical
transform our federal government; This administration has weakened our
ability to assess and respond to crisis both at home and abroad. Our
government failed in its primary function; which is provide a safe stable
environment in which its citizens can conduct their lives within the
framework of democracy, freedom and commerce.
Hurricanes happen. And the federal response was clearly unacceptable.